return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Whats FIP?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Cailin at Tue Oct 2 22:56:48 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Cailin ]  

As you mentioned, it was me that had a kitten die, actually last Dec.

I got Charlie in Aug. of 2006. She either had a runny nose from the begining, or acquired it within a day or so of my getting her. I chalked it up to a kitten cold induced by the stress of coming to a new home. She got very sick very quickly in late Nov. and after over $500 in vet bills and pretty much being told there was no hope I made the aweful decision to put her down on Dec. 1st.

Here's the thing about FIP- there really is no definitive test for it. Tests can only prove exposure, and most cats that are exposed never get sick. In fact, almost all cats from catteries, or even multi cat households, are exposed to FIP at some point.

In cats that get sick there are two forms- the "wet form" and "dry form." The wet form is actually rather easy to diagnose, because the abdimon and chest fill with fluid, which is pretty obvious upon examination. It is also the more common form. The dry form doesn't present with such obvious signs, but is still deadly.

Because there isn't a definitive test for FIP it is often blamed for any unexplained deadly illness in a cat or kitten. Charlie had some symptoms that fit, and some that didn't. Necropsy can give more of an indication, but I wouldn't let them do one. My kitten, my baby, was dead, it didn't really matter to me what disease was the culprit.

Charlie's breeder talked to her own vet and he mentioned that there have been recent cases of a new strain of calici that is resistent to the current vaccine. We have also both acknowledged that it is possible that Charlie was born with some sort of defect that wasn't immediately apparent. That is actually what I tend to believe was the case. It was tragic, and heartbreaking, and I still miss her (I am tearing up just writing this) but there was nothing else I could do for her. Her life was short, but she was very well loved in the time that I had her.

On a happier note, Charlie's breeder gave me a new kitten. In a case like Charlie's most reputable breeders will "replace" (for lack of a better word) the kitten. Charlie's death didn't fall under the conditions of the contract I signed (in fact, it pretty much was listed under conditions that the breeder wasn't require to replace the kitten), but she replaced her anyway. My new kitten, Sina, is 10 months old and currently asleep next to me on the couch. She is pretty much nothing like Charlie- a honey solid while Charlie was a natural solid, very rambunctious but rather shy where Charlie was calm and outgoing. Very different, but I love her just as much as I loved Charlie.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Whats FIP? - mscm95, Tue Sep 4 22:41:21 2007