return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Stanley Vet Visit... Good Update

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Sun Dec 3 13:24:39 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

What food do you have him on?

====

Jaime -- Was diagnosed with early Kidney Disease (Renal Failure) in October of last year. His values had just started nudging up over the high end of normal. Renal Failure is one of the top problems in older cats (Renal Failure and Thyroid Problems are extremely common the older they get).

Once he was diagnosed, we put him on Science Diet KD (Kidney Disease) specifically formulated for cats w/Renal Failure. It is lower in protein and other ingredients that tax their kidneys. I have cut back all treats, etc., quite a bit and only feed the SD KD. I do have to give him a couple treats with his steriod pill as food is needed to avoid ulcers per the medical sheet. But, it hasn't bothered his kidney numbers. We did screw up earlier in the year. The cats don't eat wet food. Period. But, they do love Tender Vittles (semi-moist). She suggested I kick up the TV to help with his hard stools, but when we checked his kidney values, they had eleveated some since he was tested in October last year. We went back to just SD KD and very limited treats and the values have held the same over the past six months.

Stanely and Pookey are both 15 now, so I wasn't surprised when Stanley got his diagnosis last year. Pookey will probably only benefit from the diet and go even longer before he had kidney problems... Pookey has his six month check next month and his Free T4 (Thyroid level) was slightly elevated six months ago. The vet wants to keep an eye on it for Thyroid problems. It could be slow moving. We'll know more next month -- no symptoms so far. Thyroid problems can be controlled with meds for years... So, Pookey may be entering into regular meds in the next year. He is not nearly as easy to medicate as Stanley. Stanley will come to me and sit and wait for his pills and liquid when I call him. He is amazing to pill. Pookey is a typical cat -- catch me if you can, LOL.
-----
Tammy
Stanley and Pookey

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Stanley Vet Visit... Good Update - JaimeMarie, Sun Dec 3 10:35:38 2006