return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: What's for dinner

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Sat Dec 22 11:00:57 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

Funny you asked. Last night started the seasonal eating frenzy for me. So many local traditional events each year with two different sets of friends and my Philly cousins....

Last Night -- A dozen of us gathered at friends' for the traditional annual Damn Danish Duck Dinner. Usually we gather on Christmas Eve, as everyone in Denmark apparently eats this exact meal per our host, Jan (pronounced Yen) from Denmark (married to our Jewish friend Mindy who originally hails from Las Vegas). This year, with the way Christmas fell, many couldn't make it Christmas Eve so it was held early. Three roasted ducks (stuffed with plums, apples, and oranges), a huge pork loin, caramelized white potatos, red cabbage, boiled potatos, gravy, and dill pickles grace the table, with a traditional rice pudding for dessert. There is an single almond in the rice pudding bowl (pudding is served with warm cherry sauce) and whoemver gets the almond, gets the "prize" (an inexpensive wrapped gift). As lovely as this all sounds, the tradition isn't complete without the host and hostess fighting the whole night and other hysterical events...

Tonight -- The Condo Club annual Christmas Gathering. A few of us that have lived in the condos here, some now moved away, always gather at a local German Restaurant for the most expensive pork chops or similar German fare money can buy (LOL) and fun... I drop $25 for the meal and usually get a chop or sausage and a dab of potatoes and some red cabbage... It is blatant robbery, but a fun gathering.

Sunday and Monday -- Getting with friends for dinners out since we have this gap between the weekend and Christmas and no one seems to know what to do for dinner on Sunday and Monday, LOL...

Tuesday -- I'll be in Philly with my cousins for a traditional ham dinner, which means she'll forget to put the ham in and we'll eat at 8 or 9PM as per the norm. We'll have cheesy mashed or regular mashed potatoes, pineapple, and something green on the plate (brocolli, peas, or whatever).

My Mom in Texas, if she doesn't have a huge houseful, serves BBQ ribs on Christmas Day to close family members. If there is extensive family, she'll do a traditional turkey or ham dinner...

I am already on a grease hangover today from all the Duck and Pork from last night... Did I mention the Dane's leave about 3 inches of fat on top of the loin, like a mohawk, and it cooks down, self-basting in the oven. What you are left with is a moist pork and a crispy pork rind on top. Yes, on top of greasy duck, we all love the crispy pork rind (fried fat). I am getting queasy just remembering it...

HAPPY EATING DAYS TO YOU ALL!!!
-----
Tammy and Pookey
(Stanley 8/91 - 8/07)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereRE: What's for dinner - cyclopsgrl, Sat Dec 22 11:00:57 2007

>> Next topic:  sadness - ThreeCalicos, Sat Dec 22 16:01:07 2007
<< Previous topic:  What's for dinner - kittyromeo, Fri Dec 21 12:38:10 2007