return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

It’s not the rest of the world, it’s me

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kittyromeo at Mon Mar 17 21:58:31 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kittyromeo ]  

Had one of those awkward moments today that just serve to tell me it's not the rest of the world that's a little off, it's me.

I was at a doctor's office, in the waiting area, when another family group came in with little boy just two months older than Punky. The woman with him greeted us, then sized us up and immediately launched into that puesdo-friendly competitive thing women do, over the kids - does Punky run yet? Have a bink? Sleep well, speak well, finished her college application essay yet? Tweny questions, rapid fire. Meanwhile, she's pulling out all this food from the diaper bag.

The boy ran for the sound of the candy wrapper, Punky didn't react. She offered up gummy dinsoaurs to both kids, but I told her Punky wouldn't recognize it as food. She thrust them out anyway and Punky backed up, shaking her head, looking at these bright colored things like they were rattlesnakes. I couldn't discourse on the difference in various chicken nuggets with her, Punky has only had them twice in her life. The boy can open 20 oz. bottles of soda, we don't buy them. He drinks better from a soda can than a cup or straw, Punky has never had soda in a can. I had no electronic toys on me. I pulled out an animal picture book for the kids instead. Somewhere about the time I said I didn't smoke, the woman went from seemingly uneasy to giving me a wall-eyed look. She packed up the kid and moved away from me.

She was across the room, settling in again, talking to an older couple and all I could think was "Am I really that strange?"

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  When no one is looking.. - kittyromeo, Tue Mar 18 13:56:16 2008
<< Previous topic:  Tax time - kasia13, Mon Mar 17 18:28:04 2008