return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: How to...?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHAbymom at Thu Mar 13 17:00:20 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHAbymom ]  

>>Hi, Showcat (or Abymom),
>>
>>There will be a cat show in my hometown (Lafayette IN) on April 12th and 13th.
>>I would like to attend (only me, no kitties). I know this is a silly question but I don't have any kind of idea of what to expect since I have not attended any myself. The only thing I have seen so far is the registration form for people SHOWING cats. I wonder if regular people are actually admitted.
>>In case they do, besides the admission fee, are there any other costs in a cat show? Anything of interest (of course, beside seeing the beautiful kitties there)? I've heard that they may give you free samples and retailers sell food and accesories at discount prices...Anything else I should know?
>>
>>Thanks
>>-----
>>Bob, Daisy, Karla and the Goldfish

Karla, yes, the public is always welcome at cat shows! There is usually an admission charge. Cat shows are put on by local clubs in accordance with the show rules and regulations of the association they belong to such as AFCA, TICA or CFA. The judges are licensed and approved by the association. What you will see! Oh my! First, depending on the venue, is a room or hall full of long tables covered with cages that are usually about 2' x 2' x 4'. That is the "benching" area for the cats to be shown. Most exhibitors use decorative curtains and more to spruce up the plain wire cages. Some people have their own benching cages made of plexiglass, or other materials, some are exeptionally fancy! Visitors are welcome to wander through the area and look at the cats. Look but don't touch. Touching is not allowed as it could result in a bite for you or spread disease from one cat to another. Don't be afraid to talk to the exhibitors and ask questions. Like all of us, they love their cats and like to share the finer points of their breed. If they seem distracted, don't worry, they're probably listening for a number to be called to take a cat for judging.

In one area or another of the hall will be several separate areas being used as judging rings. Depending on the format, each judge will judge each category of cats over the two days. Each judge will also award finals ribbons in kittens, championship and alter classes. Depending on the association, there may also be a Household Pet class.

The vendors - that's another fun thing. Many shows have vendors offering cat supplies, but there are usually several offering all kinds of human oriented cat stuff, too - t-shirts, mugs, jewelery, books, magazines and what have you! Either bring money or lock up the credit card in advance! Also, if you have a digital camera, take it along!

If you go to the photo gallery here in Cat Hobbyist and do a search on my PHAbymom user name, you will see a series of photos taken by another host at a cat show last year.

Good luck, have fun and report back to us on your experience!

-----
PHAbymom
Site Coordinator
www.CatHobbyist.com
The Best Online Cat Community!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: How to...? - PHCurious, Sat Mar 15 21:29:23 2003

<< Previous Message:  How to...? - karlacue, Thu Mar 13 10:57:56 2003