return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Questionable Breeder Behavior

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: nicoleRipley at Mon Apr 11 17:29:32 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by nicoleRipley ]  

I apologize if this message is in the wrong forum or if it is inappropriate in any way but I'm at a loss with my dilemma and desperately need some advice from those with experience in this field.

I am in the process of purchasing a British Shorthair kitten from a breeder. I was second on the waiting list and the kittens were born in February so they're due to come home in May. I have visited the cattery and met with and was pleased with the breeder. That was until the time to pick the kittens occurred. The woman first on the waiting list decided, unexpectedly, she wanted two kittens (and the breeder explained to me that this was her "right"; I don't understand that practice, honestly, because I was second in line to choose from the litter but I digress). The breeder reserved the right, from the beginning, to keep any kitten she chose to continue her breeding program. She picked a girl (out of the 2 males and 4 females). So out of 6 kittens, as second on the waitlist, it turned out I had choice of 2: a boy and girl. Needless to say, I was disappointed by the lack of choice I had in what was once a seemingly advantageous list position but I picked nonetheless. I met both kittens and connected with the boy so I chose him.

A week later, the breeder contacts me and says that she has decided to keep the boy for herself instead - a month before they're due to go home and a mere week after I had picked that boy. She explained the girl she previously picked was not turning out as she had hoped and she has changed her mind. She asked that I come back and choose a different cat.

When I asked about the terms of the contract at our first meeting, she assured me it was basic care rules: no declawing, must be indoor cats, etc. And she did verbally tell us she would keep whichever she chose BUT there was also a verbal agreement when I told her I picked the boy. She did not ask me to sign any contract and I assumed I did not have to ask to do so myself; I thought it was what I would sign upon picking up the cat to bring home.

Is this an accepted practice by breeders? To be able to take a customer's pick to keep for themselves if they so choose? I have never bought from a breeder before and wanted to know if she is in the wrong or not.

Please help with any advice!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Questionable Breeder Behavior - PHAbymom, Tue Apr 12 00:37:41 2005 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Questionable Breeder Behavior - lundbergsiberians, Fri Jun 16 19:11:02 2006