return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

will Oliver's sad tale have a happy ending?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: oliverzgon at Tue Jun 24 22:06:45 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by oliverzgon ]  

**note-i understand this may sound dramatized or juvenile and there may be no way to help but anyhow I need to post out of frustration/devastation/a tiny bit of hope. **

Oliver's Sad Tale
I was pretty much the sole caretaker of my 6 year old, black and white domestic shorthair Oliver. We shared a special bond that you cat lovers should understand very well. However, in the fall I will be heading off to college and dorming there. The rest of my family does not have the same special bond with our cat, or the dedication to clean after him, and my sister was actually developing allergies to him. In short, no one would take proper care of the cat when I was gone (not even extended family/friends) so putting him up for adoption was our only choice.

I thought it wouldn't be too bad and that I had all summer to get him a place at a nice no-kill shelter where he could have a happy life and a good chance for adoption. I was about to send out pics/info to a nearby no kill shelter when my mother totally shocked me with her spur of the moment plan to turn him in to a closer (kill!!) shelter, and she told me a day in advance!! That was a HORRIBLE day, they came w/ a cage and he got so upset and enraged and even if I go visit him I don't think he'll ever trust me again I was/am miserable. The worst part is to think I wasted time not working to get him into a no kill shelter and that his life may end w/out me by his side.

If anyone would have the heart to consider Oliver he is at Associated Humane Societies in Newark, NJ and hopefully his picture and bio will be featured on petfinder.com. I'll also look into a fostering program connected with AHS. Another reason this is a sad story is that he is not neutered or declawed and does not get along well w/ other animals or shall children, so his chances are slim. But I amm keeping my fingers crossed for miracles...if anyone would care to open up their hear and just consider him I would be eternally grateful.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]