return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Trixie

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kittymama14 at Sun Feb 12 15:51:21 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kittymama14 ]  

As we pulled into the driveway on that balmy August evening, our headlights caught the eyes of a cat as it turned and disappeared under our mobile home. Living in a neighborhood teeming with ferals, strays and under loved pets, we had sadly learned to turn our heads. There were just too many to help. All we could afford to do was leave a little food outside for them, and hug our own little ones a little tighter. Three was all we could handle, both financially and space-wise. As time went on those emerald green eyes emerged as a dirty white long haired cat that was so loaded with fleas that you could see them crawling all over her coat. The first time I saw her in the daylight was when I was packing my car up to go on a camping trip. Being a hot summer day, I had left the window open, and had gone back into the house for a few minutes. When I came back out I found her in my car. She had torn open a loaf of bread and was voraciously devouring it. She ran when she saw me coming, but came back when I approached her with a big helping of cat food.

It didn’t take long for her to become friendly. Within a few days she would seem to emerge from nowhere when I would pull into the driveway, and would jump into my arms. My roommate, Bette, on the other hand, avoided her. She fed her....but kept a distance to protect her heart from breaking.

One day a neighbor told us that the park manager was having animal control come in the following few days, and have all the strays rounded up and destroyed. Later, that evening we were on the deck talking about the strays. Our hearts were heavy. We wanted to protect them. We knew it was unrealistic to expect to save them all, but we wanted to do something for the little one who had taken up residence under our home. While we were talking she came up for her evening meal. Bette had an idea. She disappeared into the house and came back out with an old red collar that had belonged to one of our cats. "Maybe," she said, "If they see a collar on her they will think she belongs to someone and leave her alone." As Bette reached down to put the collar on her, Trixie stretched her neck up. It was as if she knew the collar meant that someone cared about her.

The deception worked. Trixie was not scooped up with the others. She continued to live under our home for a few days, until one rainy September night, Bette was awakened to a scratching sound at her window. There, at the window was a very wet, flea bitten, dirty white cat with a red collar on. On that night Bette opened her window, her heart, and her home to the cat who had chosen her.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Trixie - kittymama14, Sun Feb 12 16:23:07 2006 *HOT TOPIC*