return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Please...any advice...I am new to ferals

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: nigel003 at Sun Jan 27 11:43:00 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by nigel003 ]  

Hello and thanks for reading my post.
One week ago today I could not bear to let a feral cat that I had been feeding for the last 3 months to go another day in the cold Michigan weather. (This feral rejected my attempts to make a warm outside shelter for him with an insulated doghouse and electric heater - he would only come for food/water.) Back in October I could not even step out onto my porch without this little guy scurrying away. About 5 minutes after I would put food down and go back into the house he would reappear and practically inhale an entire can of fancy feast. As the weeks went by, he would react the same when I would come out to put food down - BUT would stay more in my view instead of going into hiding. In the last month he started showing up for dinner AND also breakfast. There were times that I think he sat outside in front of my door for hours, waiting for me to wake up and feed him.
So, last week was the week that I could not stand it anymore. With the night temperatures down in the single and low double digits, I found myself not being able to sleep because I was worried about him. My husband bought a live trap and he went right in for food, without much hesitation. We took him to our local vet where he was tested for feline lukemia and HIV, both negative. He was treated for fleas, and was neutered. We brought him home and let him have free reign of our basement. (It is completely furnished, and is a walk-out basement so he also has a window to look out of.) He immediately took safety under a couch and that is where he goes to for safety whenever we come downstairs to "visit". I talk to him in a soft voice and always bring a treat down when I go downstairs to visit with him which is 6-8 times a day. I don't want to just let him have free reign of the entire house because I don't know how he will act with my other cats, and I have to be concerned about my senior kitty who has health issues. He has not hissed at me yet but sometimes has a low growl if I get too close. He has come out from under the couch once while I was in the room to eat, but it was obvious he was very frightened. He is using a litter box, and has never sprayed anywhere. My six year old son has named him NIGEL.
So, I would appreciate any advice from all of you who have had some feral cat experience. Am I going about this wrong? Should I just let him be upstairs with the rest of the family? Will that scare him more? Will he EVER let me pet him or ever enjoy living here? Also I have heard of Feline lukemia/HIV being "dormant" in cats and coming out later. Should I be concerned of that since I have other cats?
I know that this is a long post, and to anyone who took the time to read it thank you in advance. I really want this little guy to be happy and appreciate any advice.
Nicole

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Please...any advice...I am new to ferals - unstresst, Thu May 8 01:49:39 2008