return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

A feral cat adopted me - sort of

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mohrle at Tue Jul 13 20:32:18 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mohrle ]  

A few months ago - in winter - I realized that a cat was living in my backyard and sleeping on my patio furniture. The cat was very shy and always runs when I move. I started feeding her/him? and built her a shelter on one of my patio chairs with woolen sweaters and a tarp to protect it from rain and wind (it rains very seldom here , I live in the Mojave desert). Now we are in July and I am still feeding an extremely shy cat. Actually at the beginning she let me touch her and then I accidentally locked her in the house. It was a huge disaster. She tried to get out of a bay window completely destroying the blinds and the flower pots on the window sill. I opened all the doors and windows but it took a long time before she found her way out and she seemed completely frightened. Since then I still feed her and she still runs. But now we have temperatures of 110 degree plus and I really would like to get the cat to come inside. She looks extremely uncomfortable and is panting miserably in the hot hours. I got her to come inside the house, but she only comes inside to eat and the moment I move she runs. I also have to keep the patio door open and I cannot afford the aircondition the outside. Is there anybody who can give me some advice how I can help this cat to keep cool.
I talked with some cat owners here and they said I should feed her only moist food in summer and that is what I am doing. I tried to put ice in her feeding bowl, hoping she would lick it, but no such luck. She avoids the ice it like hell. But I keep the catfood cans in the refrigerator and she seems to like the cold food. I am hosing down my patio often to keep it cooler, but she hates water and the moment she sees the hose she runs and by the time she comes back the water has dried and the cooling affect is gone.

Please, it has been eight months now and she seems to trust me less not more. Can somebody give me some advice. I had cats before, but they all liked me. The only reliable thing is that she shows up for feeding nearly like clockwork.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]