return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

LYMPHOMA IN ELDERLY CAT

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 1Gabrielle at Sun Aug 31 12:07:39 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 1Gabrielle ]  

Dear Dr Tobin,

Please forgive me if you receive two e mails from me, but I submitted one but I don’t see it.

I have a 16 year old plus Cat who was diagnosed with Lymphoma cancer on Friday. She has a very large lymph in the left side of her neck. Her vet says he cannot feel any other enlarged nodes.
When the lump was first found,2 weeks before, they had carried out a blood test to check her thyroid, this was showing within normal.
A few days later she underwent a fine needle aspiration biopsy, and a heart x-ray. The
X-ray showed she had an enlargement. And on a 1—10 scale the vet has given her a 7.
And she has been prescribed FORTEKOR, one daily, which we have started on our vets advice. But she doesn’t seem to be herself at all today, and I am wondering if the Fortekor could be giving her side nasty side effects. I would hate to think they are making her feel more poorly?
We waited 9 days for the biopsy result, and they said it showed cancerous cells.

We have Pandora pencilled in for surgery Wednesday morning. But I am wondering if this is the right way to go? I would not put her forward for chemo/radiation, as it is far too aggressive and the vet has already stated that.

But I am wondering if under the circumstances of her age, her heart and the risk of the anaesthetic that we should even entertain the idea of Surgery?

I have tried to research this condition, but as my vet had warned me, it’s a minefield, and I have managed to confuse myself more. As we don’t know what type she has, eg Hodgkin’s or T-cell, and all the others. I just feel totally out of my depth and I am still admidst a deep grief, I only lost my old Dog just under 6 weeks ago, so I am totally over-whelmed by this.

I would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions, Thankyou.

Regards,
Gabby

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: LYMPHOMA IN ELDERLY CAT - PHDrTobin, Mon Sep 1 10:41:34 2008