return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Echinacea

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: BlueEyedStorm at Fri Dec 11 04:11:53 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BlueEyedStorm ]  

He didn't even notice the taste when I put it in his salmon. . So this vitamin C product made for human consumption says to take 1 capsule, three times a day or as directed by physician. So I have been separating the pill in 8 sections and giving him one or two a day. But would three be ok as well? So it would be 1/8 of a capsule three times a day.

I am going to tell you why I am actually giving him this. I am trying to get an appointment with a holistic vet. I am actually worried about his mouth. Emergency vets do not usually do holistic remedies so I cannot go there so I am trying to fix him until I get the appointment made.

So here is the situation. I have a male cat named Merlin, who is about 4-5 years old who needs to be looked at ASAP. Whether he has cancer in his mouth or stomatitis, his mouth could get worse with every passing day. I have lost a cat before to cancer in her mouth, and it was very traumatic for me.
Here is Merlin’s situation and my diary of it explained in a nutshell;

For about half a month, since Friday, November 13, 2009,
I gave Merlin a synthetic but hypoallergenic Taurine supplement. 325mg some days, even twice the pill for a couple days in the start. Kirkman brand.

On December 1st, I noticed that Merlin’s hair from the tip of his chin was falling out, it was wet from his food, as I added water and the Taurine in his food.

So I immediately stopped giving him the supplement. Friday, December 4, 2009
Merlin’s chin has a very hard bump on it. Kind of whitish.
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Chin is almost back to normal.
Gave both my cats cod liver oil and cranberry juice.
Monday, December 7, 2009
Gave both of them cod liver oil this morning.

A week ago, I stopped giving him Taurine. Yesterday I noticed the bump on his chin was almost healed and gone. It is coming back to normal pink color and not hard as a rock as it was from Thursday to Saturday.
But I looked at his teeth which I had not seen in a month, and I noticed that on my left side on the bottom of Merlin’s mouth, I could not see his teeth. He has always had bad inflamed gums, and bad tarter build-up but I could not see the tiny tooth on the bottom.

The gums sort of look eaten away. I am worried that this synthetic Taurine supplement has caused this? I had another cat who I lost to mouth cancer, which I mentioned already, so I am very worried. And it seems like he may be having trouble eating harder (wet food). So I have been giving him softer food.
And his gums seem to have a white film on them and his lips seem to be a bit inflamed.
He is still healthy otherwise. He is active and friendly and playful as usual.
Any other suggestions Dr.Tobin?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Echinacea - PHDrTobin, Fri Dec 11 09:59:12 2009

<< Previous Message:  RE: Echinacea - PHDrTobin, Thu Dec 10 10:20:37 2009