return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Sinusitis/Diabetes/Dexamethasone link

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: quill at Sun Aug 8 15:12:28 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by quill ]  

Hi, I hope you don't mind but I have combined two of my posts, Diabetes and Sinusitis, into one because they are connected.

A bit of a recap:

My cat has been on Dexamethasone for quite some time. After awhile it didn't work and the symptoms came back even though I gave the recommended dosage.Not only that, the Dexamethasone lead to high glucose levels in the urine which disappeared completely after I stopped the Dexamethasone and gave him your suggestion of Chromium Picolinate. At that point he wasn't taking Dexamethasone, the symptoms of diabetes disappeared but there was still the yellow discharge from the nasal passages and thick mucus at the back of the throat. The symptoms went away only if I gave Hydrastic Canadensis every half hour(then drops) and continued to give it day and night. If I tried to taper off the symptoms came back. Not really knowing what I was dealing with- it still hasn't been determined if this is an allergic reaction, asthma, or ? - I looked up the symptoms on the Internet and they exactly match Sinusitis.

It reached a point where nothing worked. I asked his vet if I could put him back on Dexamethasone but at a higher dose.I read where it will loosen phlegm. The answer was yes, he could take 1 mg up to a maximum of four times a day. Knowing that it could lead to diabetes again, I put him back on Dexamethasone to try and get the symptoms under control which were, at that point, very severe and gave 1 mg every six hours. I also continued to give him the Chromium Picolinate to bring down the glucose level.

I also tried a vaporizer with warm steam and confined him in a large dog cage thinking that it's used for people who have colds to get rid of phlegm. I stayed by the vaporizer for seven hours straight monitoring how much steam was entering the cage.
I also occasionally added a couple of drops of Eucalyptus oil(it can coat the lungs if too much is given).He made no attempt to get out of the cage. At the fifth hour the mucus at the back of the throat started to loosen, and at the sixth hour he started to cough up phlegm and mucus.By the seventh hour his throat was clear. He started grooming himself, drank water, was hungry, etc.

I continued to give him Dexamethasone every 6 hours as well as Clavamox(twice a day. I decided to give Dexamethasone every 9 hours and try to taper off it as much as I could because I tested him urine and it showed the highest level of glucose again- because I had only given him two doses of 1 mg each of
Dexamethasone yet the extremely high glucose levels in the urine returned in a matter of hours.Not only that, there was the beginning of phlegm/mucus at the back of his throat. I put him back on the vaporizer and in about 1 1/2 hours he started coughing up the

At this point, this is the problem. I don't know if it's that I didn't give the Dexamethasone at the sixth hour but waited 9 hours to give it that brought about the beginning of phlegm/mucus at the back of the throat or if it was because I gave him two tablespoons of pureed chicken. The reason why I'm wondering about the chicken is because, in reading up on Sinusitis it said not to give meat or dairy. I had been greasing his pills with a little butter. I stopped doing that but now I wonder if the cause of the phlegm was because I gave him meat or because I tried to taper off the Dexamethasone. If I can't give him meat, what can I give him? Your imput would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sinusitis/Diabetes/Dexamethasone link - quill, Mon Aug 9 09:18:40 2010