return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Re balancing calcium/phosphorous levels

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: quill at Thu Apr 14 19:55:13 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by quill ]  

Hi,
Could you please clarify something for me. According to this link,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphate_binders

anyone with chronic renal failure tends to have a high phosphorous levels,and low calcium levels due to the kidneys not being able to product the active form of Vitamin D which aids in calcium absorption from food. They suggest giving phosphate binders, Vitamin D, and extra calcium.

What form of calcium can be given that does not contain phosphorous? Bone meal does. So does calcium from oyster shells. I can't seem to find a source of calcium that doesn't contain phosphorous.

According to this link:

www.oralchelation.com/ingred/phosphorus.htm

"The increased urinary excretion of phosphorus is advantageous in bringing blood calcium levels up to normal because high blood levels of phosphate suppress the conversion of vitamin D to its active form in the kidneys."

A phosphate binder would cause phosphorous to be bound and excreted which would raise blood calcium levels but also according to information on phosphate binders, they are forms of antiacids and will bring the calcium levels up because that's what they do. Giving calcium when all this is happening, would it lead to too much calcium being given or is there the chance of blood calcium levels getting too high by a person giving calcium as well as a phosphate binder?

If one has the active form of Vitamin D is it possible to give it and would it help. or in giving a phosphate binder there's no need to also give the active form of Vitamin D because Vitamin D will convert to its active form in the kidneys once the blood levels of phosphate are controlled>? Or, with chronic renal failure the kidneys won't ever convert Vitamin D to its active form so would it be a good idea to give the active form of Vitamin D? If so, how much? How much calcium?

I find that most foods cats eat contain high levels of phosphorous. Meat. Even eggs. My cat likes to eat hard boiled eggs and macaroni and tomatoes. Both contain phosphorous. Even with a phosphate binder (aluminum hydroxide-500 mg divided into four pieces, one piece every 12 hours).

I'm wondering about whether I should be giving calcium(if so in what form) and Vitamin D. How does one balance the phosphorous and calcium levels when one feeds meat to their cats, even if restricted it's still high in phosphorous. The yogurt I was giving for digestive enzymes was also high in phosphorous so I stopped giving it. Eggs and macaroni has fairly high phosphorous.Will giving a phosphate binder balance all of this or is more needed to do so, ie, giving extra calcium and Vitamin D? Thank you for any ideas you may have concerning this.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Re balancing calcium/phosphorous lev - PHDrTobin, Sun Apr 17 10:49:41 2011