return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: escape-proof cat harnesses

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gocatgo at Fri Apr 29 15:39:22 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gocatgo ]  

Hi Teaspoon! Welcome to the board. I purchased two of those jacket leashes for my cats a few years ago and highly recommend them. Once they got used to the jacket, they loved going for walks on a leash. However, cats, being the strange critters that they are, do not like any kind of garments on them so you will need to condition him to the jacket before trying to walk him outside. When you first put it on him, he will probably lie down on his side as if it's so heavy and he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. To condition him, put it on him for a minute or two the first few days, then increase the time a little each time thereafter. This may take 3 or 4 weeks before he's comfortable in a garment.

Step 2, will be taking him outside. Be aware that most cats do not 'take a walk' but rather just wander around, investigating their environment. Since I have a bike trail adjoining my backyard, I had visions of taking the cats for a walk down the bike trail. That usually did not happen. However, they did get a lot of pleasure out of 'investigating the environment'.

Now we have a privacy fence and I just let them out in the backyard to play whenever they want. Problem is, now they are older and just want to sleep all the time.

If you do order a jacket leash, you might want to measure your cat's belly before placing the order. One of my cats was so fat that it didn't fit her and I had to order an extension that attached to it.

Good luck and I'd like to hear how it goes with your kitty if you do decide to try the jacket leash.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  escape-proof cat harnesses - teaspoon, Fri Apr 29 09:01:30 2011