return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Mar 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Mar 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Rabies & Rabies Vaccine Question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: thetwins at Sun Mar 25 21:00:48 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by thetwins ]  

Hello everyone!

I know this may sound like a silly question, but is it possible for a cat to get rabies even though he had a rabies shot? Does anyone know of any situations when something like this has happened?

The reason why I am asking is because one of my cats had died the other day from an unknown issue. He started vomiting and drooling last Wednesday evening. We took him to the emergency vet where he received an anti-nausea pill. He looked worse on Thursday, so we took him to another vet (one we had never went to before). His blood work was great except for an elevated WBC count, so the vet began treating him for a head trauma (gave him a antibiotic that lasts 2 weeks, and sent home more antibiotic and steroid). Thursday night he was breathing with his mouth open all night, and something did not seem right. We took him back Friday morning, and she took x-rays. His chest and lungs were perfect, but he had a lot of gas in his stomach and small intestines. The vet gave him anti-gas medicine. Friday night he had pinpoint size pupils and he was experiencing some weird short body jerking movements (like convulsions or seizures but not as bad). We took him back to the vet Saturday morning and he tied a couple of hours later at the vet's office. The vet told us that she thinks he had rabies, so she is sending his brain for testing. We told her that he had his rabies shot on June 9, 2011, but she still believes that is what it was. Is this possible? I thought the rabies vaccine was supposed to prevent rabies? Also, my cat was never bit by another animal.

Thanks for your help!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  advice please - steffke, Wed May 23 14:52:48 2012
<< Previous topic:  Sick cat hissing at other cat - kellyk, Wed Feb 8 14:00:49 2012