return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Artificial cover ideas for NWS?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Water Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: lenrely at Tue Sep 29 15:46:12 2015  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by lenrely ]  

I spent some time enhancing my terrestrial cover sites over the winter with natural materials and things people will not steal, which resulted in just a single find this year. Modern doors it turns out are made of a cardboard material that disintegrates, and water levels rose over a metal site thanks to beavers. I’ve been inspired to try something different this time based on a find someone posted: Black landscaping fabric folded over and secured with rocks near the water’s edge. I’ve seen this used in stream restoration projects and could easily be mistaken for one esp. in the right location.
I used to think N. sipedon didn’t use covers at all because of the scarcity of materials at the water’s edge which are almost always moved. Then I discovered a site where some rusted metal serves the dual purpose of providing a home for a family of snakes and visitors are completely unaware of their presence. The owners moved these about 4 feet and no snake has used them since; instead they are using an ugly sheet of plastic that is closer to the water, but only on days when it has dried out completely from rains. I think this means they want a dry space that is covered both above and below, and possibly smaller spaces where they can escape to the water easily. This is why I thought of folding the material to make a pocket and placing rocks to make spaces around them. I don’t use minnow traps because I can’t monitor every day.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereArtificial cover ideas for NWS? - lenrely, Tue Sep 29 15:46:12 2015 image in post

>> Next topic:  Gulf Salt Marsh Snake (?) - fliptop, Sun Aug 6 10:04:10 2017
<< Previous topic:  massive regina - lenrely, Thu Jul 16 22:13:10 2015