return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

My King Snake Won't Eat Rodents w/Fur???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: BeauBoi at Thu Nov 12 17:57:08 2015  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BeauBoi ]  

Ok, so I just got my first king snake. She is albino striped California King. The young woman I got her from had about 40 snakes of varying species, so I listened intently as she discussed why she was giving up the snake on Craigslist (which is where I found her for $40).

The woman said that she decided to let her go, because she had originally purchased her for breeding purposes, but that at the age of 1.6 years she didn't thing the snake was growing fast enough to be a breeder. The snake is 23 inches long and 58 grams. I was told that she is 1.6 years old.

She went on to tell me that she was feeding the snake 2 rat pinkies/once a week and that she alternated every other week with "Reptilinks" (which are made of deer meat?!?)

SO.....I thought to myself it might be the a case of the snake being a "slow-grower" due to the diet she had been fed.

As I said, this is my first California King, but I have a good deal of experience with rat snakes, and I just didn't think that the snake was being fed anywhere near enough.

When I got her home, and after she had settled in a few days, feeding day rolled around. I was still waiting for my shipment from RodentPro and fuzzier were all I had in the freezer. So I gave her 3 fuzzies and she sucked them down in less than 4 minutes and still didn't have much of a lump! It left me feeling really positive that I could help this snake grow!

Until my RodentPro order came in. Seven days after the first feeding I offered her a defrosted and warm hopper.....absolutely NO interest...even after I brained it. So, just to see, I offered a fuzzie, yep! She snapped it right up begging for more! Offered her another mouse.....nothing....

Is there such a thing as a fur-phobic snake? Does anyone have any suggestions? I am baffled!

Thanks in advance!
Beau

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereMy King Snake Won't Eat Rodents w/Fur??? - BeauBoi, Thu Nov 12 17:57:08 2015

>> Next topic:  Handling new california king snake - MrGooney, Tue Dec 22 16:33:01 2015
<< Previous topic:  HELP my kingsnake ate foam! - Newb2382, Fri Sep 4 21:57:47 2015