return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Growth rate

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Eve at Thu Feb 4 20:32:20 2016  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Eve ]  

Hi, what sex are the babies and what sex are the adults you want to eventually put them with? That's important.

I put youngsters 4 months, or older in with adult females only. If your adults are male and female then the male can start mating them ( the youngsters) at a very early age, it is not healthy for a female to mate so young. You can run into egg binding and other stuff if they breed to young. I usually let my young females mate at about a year old. Males and females can begin mating as early as 8 months old. I have had some males get sexy even earlier.

So depending on what sex you kids are and adults will determine when or if they can be put together. If one of your adults is male and any of your babys are male then you do not want to mix the males ever.

Your kids should grow quite fast if well heated and fed. All grow at different rates, males may be larger and longer females broader or chunkier, shorter. They will shed very frequently as they are growing. Let them eat as much as they want, I feed my youngsters everyday.

As far as maturity many people do not know that even though at a year old your collared is a good size, or normal 12 inches or so with tail, they do not fully mature until 3 to 5 years, I'm not saying they continue to grow enormous, lol, but they can continue to color up, and change up till that time.

I had a big guy that was given to me by a good friend, he was an aquaflame wild caught, he was huge at 17 inches, the sweetest dude, I loved him and miss him always he was famous around here, lol, his name was KONG

This is an old photo of a few of my collareds C. collaris and some C. vestigium and KONG on the end. What a difference he was AWESOME

-----
Eve
suncharmers@yahoo.com
eva@suncharmers.com
Suncharmers Colorful Collareds & Lotsa Leopards

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  1 baby growing alot faster than the othe - Bmxking658, Wed Mar 2 09:13:02 2016
<< Previous topic:  Region? Pic test run - Bmxking658, Fri Jan 22 15:05:02 2016