return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Heat for Dumeril Boa

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rebelluver at Fri Oct 28 16:17:13 2016  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rebelluver ]  

I wish I knew how attainable the melamine or pvc cages are now. When I owned snakes in the past they were far more expensive. Doing a quick google search this time before I got my setup, I still only saw $400 and up. Now, I see boaphile has a good sized cage for $200. My wife still would not have let me but I could have made a melamine cage for under $100.

That will definitely be her next cage setup when she gets older. My goal is to have her in a 4ft cage by the time she is 3ft. As for what I have done now, I used packing tape to seal off most of the screen. I left open a spot for the CME and a smaller one on the other side for ventilation. You do 2 layers of tape. One facing up from the bottom, and one facing down from the top. Using this technique I was able to get rid of the fogger and use the money to buy a thermostat for the CME and an infrared thermometer. I already had one for the UTH.

Using this setup I am able to retain 60% humidity pretty easily. I have the warm side set to between 82-84 with a spot for belly warmth in her hide at 86. The cool side is 78 but she always buries herself in the substrate which is about 75. These temps are easy to maintain in the dessert here in Las Vegas.

So in the end i think I have given her a happy, healthy home until she gets a proper boa tank. Still, tons of people are going to go to a neighborhood pet store chain and get bad advice so this technique should be helpful to those people.

Almost forgot the most important part. I think the biggest reason I was having bad temperature readings was using an analog thermometer and hygrometer. Once I got a digital one that read both, I could see that my temps weren't as bad as I thought. In fact, it tells me I was over heating my previous snakes cages because those analog ones are awful. They just aren't accurate enough. Once I replaced it with the digital one my temperatures read 81 on the warm side and not 78. It was pretty far off on everything.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Heat for Dumeril Boa - markg, Wed Nov 2 18:10:36 2016

<< Previous Message:  RE: Heat for Dumeril Boa - markg, Fri Oct 28 14:18:57 2016