return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

Older Savannah (Bosc) Monitor

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sarahjane85 at Tue Jun 27 21:12:40 2017  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sarahjane85 ]  

I would appreciate help from anyone who has experience with older monitors (12 ). My 12 year old, partially blind female (cataracts) has puked up her last three meals.
The sequence:
6 weeks ago = 2 medium sized rats (puked while I was on vacation)
2 weeks later when I returned home = 4 rat pups/fuzzies (digested/pooped)
1 week later (to get some substantial nutrition in her) = 1 medium size rat (puked 2 days later)
2 days ago (because she wasn't keeping the medium size rats down) = 8 rat pups/fuzzies (puked the next day)

I realize that she is old and yes she has slowed down on food since she was around 9 years of age, but she has never puked before and I am worried about her receiving proper nutrition as she ages.
She is otherwise healthy and active, despite her failing eyesight, although I can tell that she is somewhat distressed from puking so much.
My question is for those who have dealt with this type situation..... what is the most nutritious foods I can try (apart from the obvious chicken breast meat or eggs)? I would still like to give her a varied diet, if possible at this stage, but I am hesitant to give her her regular intake diet (Hissers, waxworms (as a treat), Superworms, crickets, Hornworms, rats) because puking is not fun for any living being and it's clear that she is no longer able to digest the most nutritious staple I offer, rats. I haven't even tried her on chicken breast yet to see if she'll even accept it, but she is still very interested in food and wanting to eat.
Is there ANY more easily digestible foods that you have tried? Has anyone tried a blended slurry of chicken breast (with skin, for fat?), yogurt (calcium), various insects (roughage/fiber)? I know, I'm thinking ahead.... I'll await responses before I offer anything.
Also, no husbandry parameters have changed in the last 10 years other than increasing the size of her enclosure and she is not obese. She has actually been slowly losing weight over the last year as what occurs with most aging reptiles (I currently have and have had several in the 15-18 year range). Note also that she was severely obese when I took her in at 2 years of age (kept in a 20 gallon tank, fed canned dogfood), but with the proper nutrition, husbandry, and exercise, she streamlined to a reasonable weight over the period of a year, and I'm wondering if this could have had lasting effects on her organs as she developed and grew.
Thank you ~

Sarah.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereOlder Savannah (Bosc) Monitor - sarahjane85, Tue Jun 27 21:12:40 2017

>> Next topic:  Savannah Monitor Handling - aaaa2852, Fri Jul 28 15:06:46 2017
<< Previous topic:  Varanus Tristis Tristis - s4sainz, Wed Apr 19 12:12:55 2017