return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

I can't get my kingsnake to eat!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: BloodbucketXXL at Fri Jun 30 04:39:41 2017  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BloodbucketXXL ]  

About a month ago I purchased a pair of baby eastern king snakes. Since then I haven't been able to get the male to eat ANYTHING. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong since all of my other snakes (3 corn snakes and 2 eastern kingsnakes, including a baby kingsnake that I purchased at the same time as the non-eating male) are eating thawed mice like champions.

Additionally, I notice that non-eating snakes is actually a thing and I've looked up ways to get a snake to eat. Things I've tried:

1) "Braining" the mice.

2) Feeding in a "deli cup".

3) Feeding in the normal enclosure.

4) Scenting the mice with a lizard.

5) Trying to feed the snake actual lizards.

6) Trying to feed the snake live pinky mice instead of thawed.

So far, no eating. The weird thing is, the snake appears to respond to the scent of mice. Putting mice in the enclosure seems to get the snake to more actively investigate that area. But then the snake just plain won't eat. It's almost as if the snake recognizes that there's something there, but then just doesn't recognize the actual mouse as food.

I wasn't initially that concerned. And after I started to be concerned, my hope was that it would take a mouse after it shed its skin (assuming that it had enough stored fat to grow without eating). I notice that my other snakes get hungrier after shedding their skin so I was hoping that would be enough to get it to at least take one mouse. And that hopefully it would take more mice after recognizing one as food.

But no luck. My snake still hasn't eaten ANYTHING and still hasn't shed its skin. It's also starting to get skinny, to the point where it has loose folds of skin near the tail.

Is there anything I haven't tried yet? Is there anything else I can do to get this snake to eat, or is it just likely one of the "defective" snakes that just plain refuses food until it dies?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I can't get my kingsnake to eat! - rbichler, Tue Jul 4 00:58:22 2017