return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

ball python banner pool - click here

ball python banner pool - click here

RE: New Ball Python Owner

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RinL at Sat Oct 28 12:32:47 2017  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RinL ]  

1. You may need to spray down his cage during shed time if the humidity is too low. There are better ways to deal with it. Partially cover the top of the aquarium so that it holds more humidity. Use a piece of plexiglass or cardboard or even a folded towel. You can also provide your snake with a humid hide. Place some damp spaghnum moss in a plastic hide.If you believe his shed is stuck, you can place him in a container with about an inch of water around 80 degrees for about an hour. The shed will fall off or you can easily peel it off.
2. i prefer aspen bedding. Shredded type.Not chips( i feel they can be swallowed with the food and might cause a problem. It is easy to spot clean and not expensive.
3. I would recommend a hide. Snake like to feel secure and are much less stressed if they have a hide. It should be a tight fit for the snake. you can use larger hides as he grows along with a larger cage as he grows.
4. One last thing. A baby ball python can eat a hopper mouse. A pinky is kind of a small meal for him. I would switch to a hopper mouse now and increase the size of his food as he grows. The mouse size can be about as big in diameter as the widest part of his body.

I hope this helps.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• New Ball Python Owner - Swampboy, Tue Oct 24 19:35:39 2017
    • You Are HereRE: New Ball Python Owner - RinL, Sat Oct 28 12:32:47 2017

>> Next topic:  Pictures for revised Ballpython book - stefanbroghammer, Tue Oct 31 11:10:30 2017
<< Previous topic:  Feeding my Ball Python - Bonecutter, Tue Oct 3 05:34:47 2017