follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mealworms, Crickets, Dubia, More...
Available Now at New York Worms!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Indian Star Tortoises . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Basilisk . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Birmingham - Jan. 20-21, 2018 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Baltimore - Jan. 20-21, 2018 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Jan. 20, 2018 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Orlando - Jan. 27-28, 2018 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Oklahoma City - Jan. 27-28, 2018 . . . . . . . . . .  New England Reptile Expo - Jan. 28, 2018 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Feb. 01, 2018 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Jackson - Feb. 03-04, 2018 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Charleston - Feb. 03-04, 2018 . . . . . . . . . .  Jacksonville Herp Society Meeting - Feb. 03, 2018 . . . . . . . . . . 

full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for The Turtle Source
pool banner - $50 year

Help avoiding snakes abroad!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jensenbreck at Fri Dec 29 04:55:29 2017  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jensenbreck ]  

Dear All,

I would be very grateful with your help with this somewhat odd inquiry. Parts of this post may make you laugh and I understand that, but there is a serious undertone.

Since my youngest memories I have had a fear of snakes. I don't know why it is but I am pretty convinced it is their movement. I rarely come into contact with snakes but am very much aware they feature heavily on TV (with no advance notice making me recoil) but with advance notice of them on the TV I am not in fear of them. I have once handed a sort of 'albino python' in spain but I had had a beer and the snake was dosile. I was with a woman and I was given the 'head end'.

Anway, (and this may seem very odd), if I say the word 'snake' in conversation, especially in the evening, I will sleep very uneasily and can wake up in the night very agitated and be convinced (until I am calmed down) that there is one in the room. This will typically require the light being switched on (My wife loves that!) and me searching under the bed before convincing myself I am having an 'attack' before going to sleep.

I hope readers of this post will understand this can make life very uneasy for me.

Anyway, each year I go to Thailand where there are so called 'snake shows' usually featuring King Cobra's which I avoid, but there are also wild snakes. These rarely make the headlines and I stay in a hotel, generally avoid greenery and certainly don't enter swamps!

However, sleeping at night can be really hard for me even in our regular established hotel. I can have to have sleeping tablets or a few beers to be less anxious about going to sleep. I insist on having no open windows and make sure the toilet lid and toilet door is closed (in case one slithers up the toilet drain pipe!!).

I do appreciate this is a rambling thread but is shutting the hotel bathroom room (always ground floor), shutting windows and keeping to tourist areas the best I can do to avoid disturbing any snakes. I will ask a perhaps stupid question, do they try to force open doors etc. I do want to avoid them (as I dont want to be bitten) but am also aware that it is their habitat and what right do I have to disturb them.
Please help.
Thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References: https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/help-avoiding-snakes-abroad.468785/

best advertising videos

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]