return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

Varanus Salvator Salvator and Humidity

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pjohnson at Sat Nov 3 17:54:14 2018  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pjohnson ]  

I have lots of experience taking care of snakes and lizards that don't require much humidity. But this was when I spent the majority of my life living in Denver, Colorado where the average humidity was 40-56% humidity. I now live out in the country in Danielsville, Georgia. It's a lot more humid here. The humidity where I live now in Georgia tends to range 52-85% humidity.

I'm in the process of designing a walk-in enclosure for a young CBB and socialized Varanus Salvator Salvator from N.E.R.D.. Due to time and budgeting I won't begin construction of this enclosure until January and I don't plan on getting the lizard I want until spring or summer. I'm designing a walk-in enclosure that will be used for the animal's entire life time(and due to how big they get I plan on only caring for one water monitor). This enclosure will be designed to have two separate configurations. The first configuration will contain enough space for the monitor lizard until it passes 3 1/2 feet, and the second configuration will be an extention to the enclosure that will transform it from a very large terrarium, into a walk in enclosure.

When I finally get the water monitor, this will be the first time me taking care of a reptile that isn't naturally from a dry enviorment(that I'm aware of). I googled Indonesia's average humidity levels where I'm told where these lizards are originally from and it looks like Indonesia's average humidity levels are 75-85% humidity.

Due to online research I already know to have the flooring of my enclosure to have a lot of dirt, and I want it to be bioactive, also mix in stuff that will help maintain humidity, but I'm ignorant about how else I'm supposed to create an enviornment that ranges 75-85% humidity all the time. I've heard that some folks will keep a spray bottle of water handy and occasionally spray an enclosure. I've also heard of small fog machines attached to enclosures to create those humidity levels.

So here's my questions:

What are ya'all's thoughts and opinions on what specific levels of humidity I need to create/maintain for an asian water monitor?

What are ya'alls advice on how to go about creating and maintaining the level of humidity that a water monitor needs?

Also, since I live in a more naturally humid enviorment(Georgia) compaired to where I used to live(Colorado), will I even need to spray or fog to get my enclosure to be humid enough for the lizard, or is it a matter of "I don't need to spray or fog as much" vs if I still lived in Colorado?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Varanus Salvator Salvator and Humidity - pjohnson, Sat Nov 3 18:06:05 2018