return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Think about this....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herps and Kids ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Sillygirl at Mon Oct 27 13:43:06 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sillygirl ]  

Well getting more pets isn't the problem, I'm getting two more corn snakes here in the very near future BUT guess who's taking the responsibility of them....ME. That's the whole point. I have no problem with her "claiming" one of our 5 cats as her own since we consider them house pets and not individual ones (we all love on the cats and my husband and I share equally in the care for them). My problem came in with her wanting a pet but being unwilling and unable to provide care for it. She won't feed the cats or clean their litter box but she can still play with them. She doesn't help me when I spend 4 hours a week cleaning out the anole and frog tanks or ewwww yuck...handling the crickets to feed them. She doesn't want to even hold the my snake much less feed it. She wanted the "status" of having a pet much like a teenager wants the coolest cell phone/bike/clothes/ect. without having to be responsible for paying for the inital costs/paying for the upkeep cost/providing the labor and time to support the animal, etc.
I realize more and more that it's a status thing with her and that is something I totally disagree with. It's one thing to have a cool phone or a jacket but when it comes to a living breathing life, it's NOT status, it's about responsibility and she doesn't have what it takes yet. So I'm not going to cave into my husband who keeps telling me "Just get her the turtle, I'm sure you'll take care of it when she gets bored of it". NO I'm not going to enable her to be continually irresponsible and just because it's not wanted anymore someone else will step in and take over HER responsibility.

SO...it's come down to this.. and yes I've told her.

SHe can play with the cats and dog. But none of them are HERS, they are OURS. The lizards/frogs/snakes belong to me period because I am the one that looks after them, loves them, cleans up after them and feeds them. And if she wants to start helping with any of the animals she's more then welcome to, if she starts showing strong interest and innititave on her own about their care and well being we can have the "I want a pet of my own discussion" at that time.

Sorry if I sound so mean, but I've rescued animals since I was old enough to carry one and no one ONCE had to tell me to take care of my animals or beg me to pay attention to them because I loved them and had a very strong desire to learn about them and protect them. That and I'm just having a Monday. Thanks for listening to me rant.

-----
Chantel a.k.a. sillygirl
"I came, I saw, I adopted"

2.4.0 green anoles
2.2.0 green tree frogs
0.0.3 D. tinctorius (Cobalt froglets)
0.0.1 Anerythristic 'B' (Charcoal)corn snake "Popcorn"
2.4 Domestic house cats
1.0 Rottweiler
1.0 Husband (who loves all my critters too)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Kobe and Hobbes - kg, Wed Nov 12 22:12:15 2003
<< Previous topic:  Anyone have tegus? - kg, Wed Oct 22 18:54:15 2003