return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

I've done it twice...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rescue Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: VAReptileRescue at Mon Jan 19 13:53:45 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VAReptileRescue ]  

Hi,

I've started two different rescue efforts in two different states. Here's what I did both times:

1) Make a flyer detailing which types of animals you'll take, and how to contact you. Be sure to include any fees that you request for either incoming or outgoing animals. (You don't have to be specific, just mention if fees are applicable.)

2) Put those flyers up in every pet store, vet office, etc. Anything animal-related is a must place. Then also hit any other places that will let you put them up - convenience stores, community bulletin boards, etc.

3) Make a point of meeting the reptile vets nearest you, even if that's an hour or three away. They will be more likely to refer people to you if they've met you in person.

Slowly, you WILL start getting calls. Now, here's what I recommend you do BEFORE you get started (words of wisdom, learned from hindsight):

A) Decide how much space/time/money you're able to put into this. Don't think, "Oh, I'll put whatever is needed" because then you've set no limits, and you'll be more likely to let yourself get overwhelmed. Decide up front, "OK, I have 5 cages available of 55 gallons or smaller, so I can take in no more than 5 reptiles that would fit in those cages" or something similar. As you get more space (as in, you move to a larger house, not as in you sell all your furniture to make room for more cages - don't laugh, I did that once...) you can start taking in more/bigger animals. Just don't try to squish a 5' iguana into a 55 gallon tank because the owner threatened to release it into the wild.

B) Start looking for help immediately. Look for other folks who can help you, even if it's just an hour a week. It adds up!

C) Practice saying the word "no". Practice at least an hour a week for 6 months before you start taking in reptiles. (OK, I'm exaggerating here, but seriously, you have to be able to turn away animals you're not prepared for.) Refer to letter A above.

D) Make sure that you are following the best practices of the herp industry. I swear I still know people who insist on feeding their iguanas monkey chow and dog food, despite all the literature to the contrary. If you look like an uneducated idiot, people will spread that word, and you won't be able to help the animals you love.

E) Have people/places that you can count on for quick education about new species. My saving grace was that I'm a computer geek, and have been online since 1992 (yes, there was an internet back then). I've learned a lot this way, and continue to do so when new animals come in. I don't have to know everything, but I do have to know where I can learn what I need.

Good luck!!
-----
Bonnie Keller
VA Reptile Rescue
www.vareptilerescue.org

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Thank you Bonnie. I only take in shelter rescues presently but... - Sybella, Wed Feb 4 00:20:35 2004

<< Previous Message:  starting a rescue - michael675, Wed Dec 31 09:51:02 2003