return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Is Acanthophis lancasteri a valid taxa? and/or is the name available?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rayhoser at Wed Dec 31 22:59:33 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rayhoser ]  

Gents, this is an interesting one and a topic that put me in strife from all sides and one that's been raised in e-mails again of late.
In my papers of 1998-and later I used the name as given by Wells and Wellington for the NW West Australian Death Adders.
Ken Aplin and others slated me for doing so, claiming the name to be nomen nudem on the basis that Wells and Wellington failed to provide a diagnosis of the species in the form as required under ICZN rules.
Another variable of note is the similarity of this taxa to the New Guinean/Irian Jayan A. rugosa which some claim is the same species and hence gets priority as per the ICZN's rules over A. lancasteri, the latter being a synonym of the former.
Then there's the NT subspecies named in 1998 as A. l. bottomi, which Aplin says should be applied to the Australian specimens assigned to A. lancasteri. - in iother words, A. bottomi.
What do the others here think (please provide a substantive basis for your thoughts).
ALL THE BEST
Death Adder Taxonomy
Death Adder Taxonomy

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  wanted... - wulf, Fri Jan 2 17:43:31 2004
<< Previous topic:  Taxonomic Changes "Made Behind the Scenes" - CKing, Sun Dec 21 12:51:43 2003