return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is Acanthophis lancasteri a valid taxa? and/or is the name available?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ScottThomson at Fri Jan 2 01:57:19 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ScottThomson ]  

Ok based on the material I can see in your posts I would concur it is a Nomen Nudem.

My reasons are as follows:

1. There is no characters presented in W&W that "purport to diagnose the taxon" hence the description does not meet Art 13a(i) of the ICZN 4th Edition.

and

2. The paper referred to for diagnosis and desciption (Storr, 1981) describes and defines the species A. praelongis, and this is said to be based upon material that is clearly not what is intended by the name A. lancasteri. Hence although Storr's description clearly includes what the later name is referring to it does not present information that delineates in any way what characters are referring to which form. Even if the characters were wrong it would not matter. Hence that description must be restricted to the authors intent. Therefore the paper (W&W, 1985) fails to meet Art 13a (ii) of the code. As such it is a Nomen Nudem and cannot be used.

As has been stated by both myself and CKing, Aplin's arguments are wrong. Also I will reiterate what CKing said which is very correct. All I have said here is about the availability of a name. Of course the taxon to which it was referred may be valid. I would not know, as you well know my specialty is Turtles. If there are other names available for the taxon I do not know this either.

I would like to make one comment on all this Ray. If you wish to continue your aims of describing various taxa, do so, you have every right to it. But I would ask you to think about the consequences of taxonomic change. Therefore it is in everyones interest (including your own) to make sure you do it well. When I work out where I am going to publish a paper I am not looking for someone who will publish it no questions asked. I look for the best journals in the world. So publish taxonomic changes in leading journals relevant to the field. In herpetology, Journal of Herpetology, Copeia, Biol. J. of the Linneaen Society, and others are worth while.

If you want to be sure of this I would recommend you run this by Glenn Shea and Hal Cogger, both know the squamates better than me.

Cheers, Scott

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Is Acanthophis lancasteri a valid taxa? and/or is the name available? - rayhoser, Fri Jan 2 00:53:08 2004 image in post