return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: An exception that proves the rule.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CKing at Tue Apr 13 13:30:36 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CKing ]  

Troy wrote:
"Why should I bother to indulge you with a "just-so" story? You asserted that ALL alterna have a silvery gray iris. I demonstrated that you were wrong. End of story. You were wrong, admit it."

What we have, finally, is an admission from Troy that he has no explanation of how the silvery gray iris has become a universal trait in Lampropeltis alterna. He has no explanation to account for the replacement of the ancestral golden brown iris by the silvery gray iris in L. alterna. That is because his theory that L. alterna never changed even though its environment changed from woodland to desert since the end of the last ice age cannot explain this fact.

What does one do when one has no explanation for known facts? That is easy for some: dismiss the facts. Troy claims that L. alterna does NOT have a silvery gray iris by showing that one snake, out of the thousands of known specimens, lacks the silvery gray iris. So, he found a photograph of a single snake of unknown origin and claims that this snake proves me wrong because it does not have a silvery gray iris. Even if this specimen is a wild caught L. alterna, and even if it does not have a silvery gray iris, it proves nothing.

I dealt fully with what such a specimen would mean in my previous post, and shows that this single specimen, even if it is authentic, does nothing to change the fact that the silvery gray iris has replaced the golden brown iris and that L. alterna has replaced the ancestral L. mexicana in Texas because west Texas has turned into desert. Troy has no response to my arguments.

Troy's "response" instead is to deny yet another fact. He is claiming once again that West Texas is not a desert. That seems to be something that the animals and plants living in West Texas are unaware of. The plants and animals living there are characteristic of desert environments, and this very simple fact has enabled biologists to call West Texas part of the Chihuahuan Desert. There is even a Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute in West Texas studying the desert biota that exist there. Perhaps Troy should take the people who run this institute to court and make them change the name of this institute to the Chihuahuan Woodland Research Institute, because according to Troy, the Chihuahuan Desert does not exist in Texas.

It is obvious that Troy cannot explain how the silvery gray iris originated in L. alterna, and it is obvious that he cannot explain why L. mexicana no longer lives in Texas or why L. mexicana fails to intergrade with L. alterna. It is obvious that he refuses to accept my theory, which does provide plausible explanations for each of these facts. Therefore Troy has resorted to dismissing the facts that he cannot explain.

The fact that there is no published report of L. alterna without a silvery gray iris calls into question the authenticity of Troy's photograph. If he is willing to back up his claim, he should publish his finding in a scientific journal. I am sure that he will have no problem finding an editor willing to publish it, provided that it is factual piece of information.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  you contradict yourself - but thanks for admitting your error! - troy h, Fri Apr 16 14:32:38 2004

<< Previous Message:  my point was that YOU WERE WRONG - conclusively demonstrated! - troy h, Tue Apr 13 07:03:04 2004