return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: i need some info on herpetology for my essay

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Books & Literature ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Carmichael at Tue Jun 1 16:47:43 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Carmichael ]  

All are great questions and as a professional herp. like Bryan, but doing very different things, I thought I would share my answers with you:

1.why and how did you get involved in herpetology? I have been living/breathing/sleeping/dreaming/obsessed with reptiles since I was 4 years old...my parents knew I was destined for a career in herpetology someday. I earned a bachelors degree, a masters degree and, Lord willing, a PhD in the near future....all with a focus on the biological sciences and specifically, herpetology. I have always been actively involved with my local herpetological society and networked with many folks from around the world. Once again, this is a passion and with passion, comes the desire to work harder than anyone else in order to meet ones life goals.
2.Is herpetology for everyone? NO WAY!....unless you are someone like myself who basically has reptiles on the mind 24/7! Thankfully, I have a very understanding wife and two daughters that this career has allowed me to support.
3.name some of the academic courses needed to be a herpetologist
In the U.S. you will first complete a B.S. degree in biology and from there, complete a M.S. degree in biology/zoology while beginning to take some (or one) concentrated course in herpetology. During this time you will have an opportunity to get involved with some baseline herp research depending on the school that you go to. Of course, you will need to do well in physics, math, chemistry while also mastering communication skills (including writing...one of the most critical components to being successful in this career).
4.what is the average income you make in a year?
If you are worried about the money, don't become a herpetologist! Seriously, the money should never be the reason why you pursue this career....BUT, this field has been VERY good to me and I make a great living at doing what I truly LOVE to do. Some full time positions pay for room and board while you are completing some research project while others, like mine, pay a very nice salary (close to 6 digits) with full health benefits, retirement packages, and many more perks...it really is a dream job but there are few like this one. Many herp positions are funded by grants and once the grant is up, you are looking for a new research endeavor. There are MANY avenues to pursue in this field: venom research, acadamia (teaching at the college level which I do part time in addition to my full time curator position and absolutely LOVE IT), zoological parks, private facilities, herpetoculture, research, etc.

Good luck! Rob

Rob Carmichael, Curator
The Wildlife Discovery Center at Elawa Farm
City of Lake Forest Parks & Recreation (IL)
www.cityoflakeforest.com
847-615-4388

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  i need some info on herpetology for my essay - ygroughneck, Sun May 9 16:53:20 2004