return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: This is ridiculous..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: oldherper at Fri Sep 10 07:15:40 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by oldherper ]  

>>Hi oldherper,
>>
>>Perhaps your right. It is ridiculous, but on the other hand serious working herpers and taxonomists still have to do the work and get no credits on the name... I guess this sort of abuse is not what the ICZN thought of when publishing the code.
>>
>>

Now for my proposal...I want to propose a change in Taxonomy for the Eastern Indigo Snake from Drymarchon couperi to Coolsnakeus oldherperi. Whaddya think? I don't have any supporting data, but apparently that's not a prerequisite anyway.
>>

>>
>>Ok, you try and publish your proposals and we give you a laugh
>>
>>Cheers from Germany *smile*
>>Wulf
>>-----
>>http://www.leiopython.de ,
>>http://www.herpers-digest.com

Wulf,
That's exactly my point. Serious researchers have not only put time and effort into these things and done whatever work has been done, but also have to spend their time refuting Mr. Hoser's claims. It's ridiculous. It seems like something could be done to stop this. You guys put your time, effort, knowledge and expertise into researching these Taxonaomic relationships and then some yahoo latches on to your coattail and tries to claim it and rename in such a fashion as to get their (and some friend's) name into the records for credit. It's obvious. If you look at a valid proposal then compare it to one of these, there's no comparison. It's then a relatively easy matter to research further and find previous studies by others that were never proposed, but put forth some of the same underlying ideas that Mr. Hoser claims as his own "original" work. Then his defense is to refer to a valid change that involved one of the people that are challenging him and say "Does this mean you're changing your mind about this?" What?!?!?! Where's the correlation? His real defense would be to provide the supporting data that he's been repeatedly asked to provide. The very fact that he fails to respond to those requests at all is proof positive that the supporting data does not exist, or that he doesn't have access to it (or can't provide it) because it belongs to someone else.

It's pathetic, really. It's hard to believe that someone would be that desperate for attention and recognition. I don't think he even realizes how embarrassed he should be.

You guys that do the actual work and then have to put up with this sort of plagerism certainly have my sympathy.

I wasn't trying to imply that it is ridiculous that you spend your time defending against this, only that it's ridiculous that you have to in the first place. He's making a mockery of the science of Taxonomy.

Anyway...thanks for the vote of confidence on my proposed Taxonomy change.

O.H.

-----
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. Ralph Waldo Emerson

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: This is ridiculous.. - Wulf, Fri Sep 10 06:47:50 2004