return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

aggressive corn snake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herps and Kids ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sinmissing at Mon Sep 27 10:38:32 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sinmissing ]  

Hello folks.

I'm new here and not sure where to post this, but since it's a newby kind of question I thought the kids forum might be the place.

I'm having some problems with an agressive female okatee corn snake. I got her as a hatchling, she was kind of flighty and shy as I'd expect a hatchling to be, but she was becoming more mellow and easier to handle as she grew, and with regular handling; then I got sick, and wasn't able to handle her with any kind of regularity for a few months. Now she's grown, and has become aggressive.

She hisses and strikes at me when I handle her, and recently even when I try to do anything around her cage, which is really frustrating. She strikes at the cage before I even open the enclosure. I'm not exactly terrified of being bitten - I've been bitten by bigger snakes and didn't think it was any kind of big deal - but her aggressive posturing works on me better than it should, I'm embarassed to say. It's taken all the fun out of playing with her, and I've lost confidence in my ability to help her learn to feel relaxed around people.

I guess I didn't realize how easy I had it with my last corn snake - I bought him as a nearly full grown adult, he was already very sweet, seemed to enjoy being handled, and never showed any hint of aggression, although I stupidly fed him nothing but live mice, not knowing any better. My current corn gets frozen mice only, every 14 days, in a plastic container, but she still goes after the hand that brings in the container.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and your for patience.
Carolyn

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are Hereaggressive corn snake - sinmissing, Mon Sep 27 10:38:32 2004

>> Next topic:  What does everyone think of a kid having a reptile??? - beardielover13, Mon Sep 27 21:05:13 2004
<< Previous topic:  Just thought i'd put something new in here for yins - warriorprncss3, Mon Sep 20 11:47:13 2004