return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: about the hobby (people) & the Scientists

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mequinn at Tue Sep 28 23:55:15 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mequinn ]  

Hi jody,
the pet shop names are just arbitrary names for the most part - what they call them today would change tomorrow if they can get
1$ more for them...today: black throats; tomorrow: white throats; next day: Ionides cape monitors...etc...

You can look at any regional V. albigularis you wish (as I have): Cape (V.a. albigularis) ; Transvaal types (V.a. albigularis); Port Lucie, V.a. albigularis ; Gaberone, V.a. albigularis ; Port Harald, V.a. albigularis ; Dar-es-salaam, V.a. albigularis/V.a. microstictus ; Windhoek, V.a. albigularis ; Dondo, V.a. angolensis, ; Tsavo National Park, V.a. microstictus, ; Lake Rudolf, V.a. microstictus, ;
Ethiopian, V.a. microstictus; Djibouti, V.a. microstictus/V. yemenesis; Mersa Matruh, V.a. albigularis, and their skull structures = ALL of them are Identical in every way in adults....what does this tell you? It tells me they are all the same species and ecological vicariances dictates phenotype morphology, but osteologically, they are monotypic = 1 species across the Continent (Bayless & Sprackland, 2000a-b. Reptiles Magazine, June-July).

So reptile keepers can use all the names they want, when 1 has looked at so many live/dead/dying/way deceased/museum specimens going back to 1860's (as Regenia occellata), and looked at skulls from all of the aforementioned localities and many others (Bayless, 2002, J. of Biogeography 29:1643-1701) one begins to see that what looking at an albigularis is just more than looking at skin type, color/pattern, teeth types (= 2), hemipenes/hemiclitorii, banding, spotting, shere bulk, tongue colors, you see a vast variety of types - and types virtually unknown that defy almost anyones imagination of types I have seen live that come from a 20 sq. km range 'somewhere' in Africa (I know where), the variety is tremendous, and for good reason: their primary predator is the Martial Eagle, which makes upto 50% of its dietary intake Varanus albigularis, and lesser so V. niloticus. These animals need to be well camouflaged against such another enormous predator (Martial's may reach 11 foot wingspan!), not to mention hyena, jackals, lions, leopards, man, rock pythons, and goshawks.... variety of design helps them, or some of them to be better fitted for their local environments than others, hence the populations survive. As Man has over 400 local names for all African Varanus across Africa, they have shared the Continent for a long time....and reports of 8-9 foot V. albigularis are reported, and I believe them to be true if it were not for poaching and bushmeat practices - we would see such animals; I have seen 6'11 V.a. iondesi and it is impressive.

Pet shops see phenotypes and call them different; Scientists can them a few other things: both see the same animals if they look hard enough, but one can deeper than the dirty dusty skin and jaws of these animals, and that is where the difference lies.... If V. albigularis were all different across Africa, then their skull morphologies would also be differentm just as their exterior morphologies are, right? - The skull structures are the same, hence the animals are really the same animal, just wearing different coats depending on where they live across Africa, and that can be answered by looking at my articles/papers (Bayless, 1997. J. African Ecology, 35:354-357; Bayless, 2000a-b; 2002).

Cheers Jody,
markb

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: about the hobby (people) & the Scientists - JPsShadow, Wed Sep 29 09:53:11 2004
>> Next Message:  My question and how it efects hobbyists.. - SHvar, Wed Sep 29 21:38:02 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: about the hobby (people) - JPsShadow, Tue Sep 28 22:49:25 2004