return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

I don't understand your point, Frank

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Dragoon at Wed Sep 29 16:27:43 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Dragoon ]  

"You and I and many others, Know, percieve to know, recognize, that many of the different localities types are indeed different. We do know this thru practice. Don't we? We know this, because we experience these types in comparable conditions. You know, right next to eachother. We hatch them, raise them, breed them, therefore see the difference."

--*disclaimer* I am not on anyone's 'side', just trying to sort out what is being said here. And, FR likes to debate..*

I am totally confused with this paragraph, Frank.
You say you know that the different localites of varanids are very different because of your direct experience KEEPING them, vs. Mark's experience just examininig them. Uh-huh. May I ask how many different localities you have kept, raised, bred?
Because as your post reads, you imply you have far more expertise than Mark on ALL the localities, simply because you have bred some of them.

The way I see it, is, you are limited as a keeper, to what you can find a pair of, then afford to buy, house and feed. While your experience as a keeper of pair of animals is surely superior to anything an academic can study, it only applies to those particular animals.
So it makes Frank an expert on a certain region of whitethroat. Great. But Mark gets to see and study many many regions of whitethroat. Could it be that Mark has a different perspective of the subject, without being an expert on any in particular? I think you feel studying paper isn't as great as keeping the living thing. Ok, great point...but you are forgetting that neither did you. So why knock his efforts to classify animals that you can't either? (Remember, you aren't a keeper of them all.) Since no one has the resources to keep and study them all, then the current system is all we have.

Though the slaughter of the first specimens is way beyond stupid. Its a living thing, it will be dead someday anyways. Money, again, is the major factor here...
D.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I don't understand your point, Frank - mequinn, Wed Sep 29 18:33:45 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: I don't understand your point, Frank - FR, Wed Sep 29 19:58:58 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: Theres a large point your missing Jody - FR, Wed Sep 29 12:34:22 2004