return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

My question and how it efects hobbyists..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: SHvar at Wed Sep 29 21:38:02 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by SHvar ]  

When I see a cape banded WT I know its a cape banded WT, when I see an Ionides BT I know its a blackthroat, when I see a Sienna Leguaan I know its a sienna colored WT, when I see a Tanzanian WT I can tell generally it is one, but there are some many local versions or subspecies that I cannot identify, that by looking at them I couldnt tell you what they are, examples are Microstictus, Angolensis etc. If I have a V.A.Microstictus sitting in front of me how do I know, and how do I tell it from an Ionidesi? If an Angolensis smacked me with its tail how do I know its an Angolensis? What are the differences between them? Whats important to hobbyists with taxonomy is knowing what they have, what its called, what species it is, what subspecies etc. I mean its nice to know as an example when I originally bought Sobek I was told she is a CBB Ionides monitor, after the purchase I questioned the origin and found she is a BT/WT cross from Rob Faust or more accurately a BT/WT/WT cross, this was fine to me as I kept in contact with Rob and got Shadow from him whos a first generation BT/WT cross.
I wonder as I have had more than a few BTs over the years and have seen, handled, and cared for a few or more WTs, I can see so many differences between them and wonder even between BTs there are many differences. So if I look at 2 BTs (a Microstictus, and an Ionidesi) how do I know which is which? If I pick them up and look closely how do I know which is which? I cant seem to find a description of differences or a list of identifying features of each, what are they? Its nice to know where they come from, its also nice to know what it is to better understand the animal and its origins. Yes they are all Varanus Albigularis, but I want to know how to tell the subspecies apart, no one seems to have ever covered that, at least that I can find.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My question and how it efects hobbyists.. - mequinn, Wed Sep 29 22:16:47 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: about the hobby (people) & the Scientists - mequinn, Tue Sep 28 23:55:15 2004