return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Thats a good post frank

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mequinn at Wed Sep 29 22:04:33 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mequinn ]  

That was a elegant 'honest' candid refreshing post aside from your usual posts - thanks.

We agree on a few things, and although you do not care "why" V. albigularis all have the same skull morphology, it is so.

These animals have adapted to their environments and niches across Africa for 2 million years or more, according the fossils. Of course there is diversity among this species, as their is among any single clutch of these animals diversity and variety of color, pattern, sizes of the head, etc...diversity among a population leads to successful existence. We agree on that.

Many of these 'reports' who speak of are merely sighting reports, but when you look at the exact habitat of that locality, 50 years ago, last year, the same year the report was taken, you get such information about them, furthermore, I have written and recieved numerous replies to 100's of these field reports for V. albigularis, and other species in Africa, and along with the locality data, I have "much" on temperature, climate, flora, fauna, soil, etc....so you see, again you mouth off where you do not have all the facts....your next question is why don't I publish them? In time. FYI not all of my articles are in Reptiles, Reptile & Amphibian, Vivarium, etc...but in places like Chicago Herp. Bull. (to help support them), Journal of African Ecology, Journal of Biogeography, Herpetological Bulletin, Micronesica, and a few others; I do not submit articles in some of the herpetological journals as they cost quite abit of money to publish there, and why do that when I can/do publish elsewhere for lesser costs - but costs never the same.

Old information is merely that - when it is applied and re-evaluated, sometimes 'new' things come of it - when you put 3,100 locality reports side by side, you get 3,100 locality reports; put them together and patterns appear, accurate, concise patterns appear, which nobody, not even the Great Robert Mertens had done, and that is new data from old; there are so many 'secrets' locked up in this old data, and somebody has use a key and unlock them - I do what I can, and others do too. We who look at this kind of material, compare and contrast the information with others, like Daniel Bennett, Richard Luxmore, (late) Walter Auffenberg, (late) Dennis King, Claudio Ciofi, and numerous others, and they give their comments, suggestions, and then you publish it, and it starts all over again....sure, some of the articles have been scrutinized, with modifications made to their informations - but that is how 'Science' learns, and that is what it is all about frank = learning of the unknown, sharing information and making mounds out of mole hills where before it was flat as a pancake...if you choose to contribute, fine; otherwise just sit by the side-line and complain and ridicule all you like - and you seem to like that alot!

And as for publishing anything, you have very little to speak of; you do not care for my writings, so don't read them, read them, I do not care frank...you are only 1 person in a population of 6 billion....although you are a bloated loud mouth, your words do not amount to even a whisper in the World out there...only here on this and other forum, which is all but forgotten in a week or so, as the repeated duplicate posts suggest....I recieve emails/letter of my materials written years after I have written them, and they are there for all to see for as long as the written language is maintained....can you say that?
cheers,
mbayless

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: I don't understand your point, Frank - FR, Wed Sep 29 19:58:58 2004