return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

pickling new species

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mequinn at Fri Oct 1 00:10:25 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mequinn ]  

Hi Sam and Robert,

I recieved a new Varanus species in 1994, a solid green V. indicus related unknown species from a friend of mine. She was small, and I learned later normal size for her sex. She preferred shell fish 3x-5x/week. She dropped eggs for me
2x-3x/year like clockwork for 8 years. I talked to many herpetologists and Curators about her; all of them concluded as I did immediately she was/is a new unknown species...one esteemed Curator of a Museum told me to inject (= kill) her; he even offered to do this for me as I said I could not do that to her, or any healthy Varanus. He told me emphatically he would be glad to do this for me, no problem. I declined his offer emphatically as well.

She passed away while I was in hopsital kicking the bucket myself in 2001; I survived while she did not. She is in my freezer now, waiting formal description which is forth-coming, and will NOT be named after anyones wife, dog, breeder/dealer, exporter or any such thing as that. She will be given the name the local people of the island(s) she comes from call her by. I was told that some people have auctioned off 'scientific names' and that was amusing, and I considered naming her after the W.W. II US Naval personell who positively identified her on said island(s) while fighting japanese there....

I too have a problem with finding an animal and then pickling it for scientific merit/holotype right away; I do admire the efforts of Maren Gaulke with Varanus mabitang who captured, observed and released their holotype back into the jungle as they considered them exceedingly rare/endangered. I like that. I also like that V. melinus specimens were collected (not from Obi as depicted!) and kept at the museum as living exhibits - at least that shows compassion for the animals as marvelous examples of Natures Wonders....if I recall correctly, wasn't a lizard found in the stomach of a snake or a goanna that proven to be a holotype or perhaps a paratype specimen some time ago??

I hope the days of collecting every living thing not only in pairs but by the hundreds is not taken as recklessly as it once was...and that with endangered habitats, come endangered species, and that we should not take all of them simply for study sake down the road; furthermore, we should not allow the pet/skin trade to squander off thousands of them either all for the mighty 'yankee dollar' as was done with V. melinus....and we still do not know the ramifications of that fiasco do we!

cheers,
mbayless

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  I think you missed the point - RobertBushner, Thu Sep 30 13:47:16 2004