return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Thanks for the conversation on taxonomy for hobbyist, I had a epiphany

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Oct 3 11:25:11 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

One of the posts mentioned the problem was that science did not have the ability to accurately name them at this time. I believe, that nailed it square on the head.

Please do not get all in an uproar. As the rules are precieved in everchanging ways, with all the new taxonomist(more graduate every year) As they discover and rediscover the errors of the exsisting names, they change them.

But the epiphany is, at this time, there is a new and more accurate method being worked on, thats DNA. At this time, its not very good, as I have been told, each researcher uses a slighly different gene or gene type(some such nonsense) Its just not consistant. So as we sit in limbo, waiting for these methods to be perfected, there is lots of confusion and unrest.

Soon, with the improvement of DNA, as a tool, there will be many many many more species, and a clear picture of who is related to whom. My bet is, most of these local types, will be named. Hopefully that will last the rest of my lifetime.

Unfortunately, from the conversations I have had, they will be named full species. I wish, they would be subspecies or races. Maybe it will be reconsidered before then.

A thought, when I first became involved in the varanid world, I was told that Bohme, was the taxonomic god. He was doing great work. So I did some looking, and what I found was disturbing. I saw that he was naming lots of new species. But, I felt he was using a very poor approach. He had alined himself, with commerial collectors, and picked up(nice term) the first of many new monitors. The problem was, he did not do any actual research. Many of these newly named monitors, were named and discribed, without any real information, only heresay from the collectors. It indeed proved out, that the localities were not accurate. I was under the impression, with scientific nomenclature, the evidence must be verified, and local is a key component in naming a species. In other words, no one actually looked to see if the information was right. That sirs and sirsettes, is poor taxonomy.

Oh, let me add a similiar occurance. The problems I have with the MS and librarian, are almost exactly the same. As progress has allowed us to breed monitors successfully and commonly, just check our site, a week of all kinds of events, of many species(i think I am proud) The MS and librarian, are still clinging to the old ways, when no one had to have results. No one had to test theories on husbandry. But again, times have changed and its all about changing times. Thanks for the epiphany. FR

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  a line in the sand. - mtbker73, Sun Oct 3 12:04:34 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: subspecies and races - JPsShadow, Sun Oct 3 15:42:45 2004
>> Next Message:  DNA will be very helpful to taxonomy, for a while - tomas, Sun Oct 3 16:17:17 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: Thanks for the conversation on taxonomy for hobbyist, I had a epiphany - mequinn, Sun Oct 3 19:56:28 2004
>> Next Message:  Discussion moved: Monitors forum - phwyvern, Tue Oct 5 12:41:31 2004