return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

a line in the sand.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mtbker73 at Sun Oct 3 12:04:34 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mtbker73 ]  

When I was in college, I studied Marine Biology. I picked this as my major because I loved the sea and I love animals of all types. Studying them, viewing them in their natural state, understanding their unique biology and life cycles all intrigued me to no end. I had been around the outdoors and animals all my life, so it just made sense. Well, fast forward three years, I dropped the major. Why? I was basically failing out. I had a "c" average, but this was nowhere near high enough to get into any decent grad school.

("So what Mike, we are talking about monitor toxonomy here."

Well, in a sense, the challenges with toxonomy are exactly the type of issues I had that motivated me to move on. Science isn't always an exact science. Many times, the further you look into an area of science, the more questions arise. And fewer become answered.

We as a community of reptile keepers CAN NOT blame scientists for making mistakes and then debating over the best way to correct those mistakes. Technology, system understanding, techniques, even "the rules" of engagement all change. As they change, new problems and discoveries challenge established understanding. But a MAJOR part of science is for new "facts" to withstand the test of time before we further accept marginal data and make drastic changes based on this data.

With Toxonomy, DNA will certainly change the field dramatically. But the more important issue will remain to be, what level of diversity is needed to qualify a new species, sub-species or regional variant. In these questions, DNA will provide the data to a greater level of detail, but not the criteria for change. Even with DNA, this issue will still be around.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: a line in the sand. - FR, Sun Oct 3 13:21:19 2004
>> Next Message:  EXCELLENT POST - - mequinn, Sun Oct 3 20:05:51 2004

<< Previous Message:  Thanks for the conversation on taxonomy for hobbyist, I had a epiphany - FR, Sun Oct 3 11:25:11 2004