return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

The problem with the discussions below on taxo and others such topics.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Oct 3 15:19:28 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

I look at the direction these topics take, and it becomes clear, the problem is not about the subject matter, its more about problem solving.

For instance, the taxo discussion, is based on point, counterpoint. That is, both sides express concerns, or facts or theory.

The point is, that is not how one solves a problem. Thats how a problem is created. In that particular discussion, the problem of population types, is a concern. Period. all the counter points or examples in the world, will not mute or eliminate the problem. It exsists to those who think it exsists. The proper method to solve this is to address the concern. I imagine all that science or those representing science can say is, its not our concern or problem and leave the hobbyist to their own devices, Or, investigate and solve it. The only way to solve it is to name them. Science surely does not have too.

This same problem is a major concern with all monitor husbandry. This day and age, there are many choices to choose from. The keepers job is to choose, and make the right decision for them. Its really that simple.

People discuss what method I do at goanna ranch, saying this and that. As you know, I think those folks are "dumb as a stone" if they are commenting on things they have not seen. They have no idea or ability to comprehend, what we do.

What I do is simple, I offer choices, wide range of temps(often too wide) wide range of materials(I perfer natural) wide range of nesting options. And lastly, working animals in a social direction. The details of lites and and such, have proved to be of little meaning to me.

The task of husbandry with "my method", is making decisions, recognizing problems, addressing them, and hopefully making the right decisions. The answers to these decisions is directly related to the quality of the results.

How this applies to these discussions is again simple. In order to solve a problem, you have to recognize(difinition= to see something and realize with it is) the problem in the first place. Again, my method is, to recognize problems and address them as they occur.

Again how it applies here, if you do not recognize something as a problem, then there is no way for you to solve it.

If you ask me why some are good at keeping and breeding monitors, I would have to answer, some are better at solving problems then others. If you ask me, why some people have done well in very little time, I would again have to respond, they made better decisions. If you ask me, why some have done so little, I would again point to, decision making as the problem.

Lastly, if you pick your choices based on personalities, then I would say, thats a very poor decision and not good problem solving technique. Thanks and I truly hope this helps, as its all about the decisions you as a keeper make. FR

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  The naming of monitors... - amaxim, Sun Oct 3 16:40:08 2004
>> Next Message:  RE: The problem with the discussions below on taxo and others such topics. - jobi, Sun Oct 3 16:44:51 2004
>> Next Message:  I see another problem with the Taxo discussions of late. - mtbker73, Sun Oct 3 18:04:53 2004
>> Next Message:  Discussion moved: Monitors forum - phwyvern, Tue Oct 5 12:34:33 2004