return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Pictures of some hatchling Redbelly turtles

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herps and Kids ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Spoony at Tue Oct 5 18:02:07 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Spoony ]  

My class at school is raising 6 Plymouth Redbelly Turtles (Pseudemys rubriventris). They are hatchlings, I think just over a month old. We've had them for three weeks so far. They are endangered in MA, so what we do is raise them untill june and release them. The conditions we raise them in cause them to grow as much as they would in the wild in 5 years. The water temps are about 80-84 degrees F.
They get minimal human contact,of which is us taking them out once a week and getting their stats or the two other small classes that don't go in there too often, and won't even be touching them. My class only has 14 kids in it, and they are in a seperate building (Kind of like a high tech shed) so students are not constantly tapping on the glass or handling them. It also keeps them from getting to used to seeing humans walking by every day.

As of today their carapace lengths are: 35mm, 36mm, 36mm, 36mm, 37mm, 37mm

And weights (in grams): 10.9, 11.7, 11.7, 12.1, 13.1, 13.7

I'm not really a turtle person, but I love these guys!

Excuse the horribleness of the pictures, the turtles have a hard time holding still when I want to take a picture...

One of them hiding under the turtle dock thing.

An overhead shot, I love how the carapace has that green and black design on it.

A plastron shot. I think it seems more orange than red, but I'm asuming thats where they got the name from.

Another plastron shot of a different turtle. This photo came out the best.
Some of the students drew pictures of each of the different turtles plastrons so we can tell them apart. They don't have their scutes notched yet, which is (was?) supposed to be done by the people who gave them too us (Mass Wildlife I think).

I might try taking more pictures next week.
I will definatly have updated pictures in may/june before we release them.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Pictures of some hatchling Redbelly turtles - Crotaphytuskidd, Wed Oct 6 13:47:40 2004