return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: How to differentiate species?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Caecilians ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Katrina at Tue Nov 16 16:33:22 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Katrina ]  

When mine were smaller (8-12 inches), I would feed them tubifex worm cubes, bloodworms (frozen type from a pet store fish department), pre-killed (frozen) fish of appropriate size, and pieces of earthworm. They kept taking fish and earthworms as they grew, but stopped taking the tubifex. I found that they also loved wax worms, but only offered that occasionally, and once they grew to 14-16 inches, a wax worm was like a potato chip to them! Ed turned me onto pre-killed pinkie mice when mine grew larger, and I also offered pieces of cooked shrimp. I would buy a 1/4lb of fresh shrimp, and freeze them so that I could pull one out at a time. Pop a frozen shrimp in a microwave-safe cup with an inch or two of water and microwave for 20 seconds, then run under cold water and remove shell. Cut into appropriately sized pieces. Any fish that die in the tank will promptly be eel food. I had non-aggressive tetras in with mine, and a cory cat. My gold tetras bred like mad, too. I kept angel fish in there for a time, but thought they were too agressive and might harm baby eels, and gave the angels to someone else. They had babies in the tank also, but they didn't last very long.

FYI, they love lots of plants/hiding spaces in the water, or at least mine did. I had a large sword plant in there at one time, and they would hang out near the surface some days, supported by the large leaves.

Katrina

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: How to differentiate species? - caecilianman02, Thu Nov 18 16:22:15 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: How to differentiate species? - EdK, Sun Nov 14 17:45:58 2004