return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: An answer to one of A few Questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: richardwells at Sat Nov 20 21:59:26 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by richardwells ]  

CKing said:
"The cladists' dogmatic intolerance of paraphyletic taxa is perhaps one of most destructive forces facing taxonomy today."

Richard Wells said:
Well, being one that can identify with "destructive forces", I can well see the point you are making..., a bit dogmatically, but with no small amount of justification.

I remember first reading the papers of Willie Hennig and his apparatchiks and thinking what the hell is going on here? I must confess that as the Cladist dogma spread, it turned me right off "Systematic Zoology", a journal that I just couldn't wait to read previously. I know it might seem a bit inappropriate, but I have always seen cladism also as a convenient way for creationists to get involved in evolutionary biology at a purportedly taxonomic level. Prayer, blind faith and slavish idolatry would be major prerequisites for a cladistic approach to taxonomy, so creationists would be preadapted to the method. It seems to me that some cladists believe that they have true power to comprehend it all, as though they are on a path that will lead to a holy grail of biology - a sort of Combined Field Theory of taxonomy. But if Einstein had been a cladist...who knows, maybe his work might not have become "one of most destructive forces facing today", so maybe there are worse problems than cladists...Sorry, must go...time's getting on you know. I have to go and split-up a few more paraphyletic genera before bedtime!

Richard Wells

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: An answer to one of A few Questions - CKing, Sun Nov 21 15:14:11 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: An answer to one of A few Questions - CKing, Sat Nov 20 05:38:47 2004