return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

The Molecular Clock is Ticking

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: richardwells at Wed Nov 24 07:06:49 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by richardwells ]  

CKing: "Therefore, like the atomic clock, the "molecular clock" really measures (albeit much less accurately than the atomic clock) roughly how long ago two species may have shared a common ancestor."

Richard Wells: Yeah, so I have been told...and this, like much of molecular biology I pretty well have to take the word of others better informed. I claim no skill or special knowledge in this obviously important area at all, yet this inadequacy has been no impediment at all to me in the identification of biological species. And indeed, I can confidently challenge any molecular biologist professing expertise in vertebrate taxonomy to join me in field work and we shall see who is the superior in identification. But in my blissful ignorance, I do chuckle a little when I see "facts" emerge from bases like the concept of "DNA molecular clocks" that are at best theoretical postulates. I was under the impression that the rate of nucleotide substitution is presumed to be a constant across the entire genome of a species, and the degree of divergence in these nucleotide sequences between two different species enables an estimation of the time of separation (ie the point when they branch from their common ancestor). Exciting stuff to be sure, but how reliable is the basis for this postulate, when the significance of the divergence it is presumably based on the delta T50H? I mean to say, this seems pretty hairy stuff to me - that the genetic relationship between the nucleotide sequences of two or more species can be determined by the difference between the temperatures at which DNA homoduplexes and DNA heteroduplexes undergo that magic 50% dissociation. And what about the accuracy of identifying repetitive sequences for their removal by interpretation of the reassociation kinetic data? Also, what if there is no independant dating reference point from the fossil record, thus obstructing the conversion of the delta T50H value to an absolute time interval? Don't get me wrong - I'm not bagging the molecular clock hypothesis as erroneous - I just see fertile ground for unwarranted extrapolation. To me the concept is more a "work in progress", than a complete understanding, so I am a little uneasy at the "absolutist" interpretations that are made on the basis of this tool at times. So please forgive me for not immediately jumping up and down in fits of joyous commendation everytime a molecular theory is transformed into a molecular fact by the slick application of some sort of statistical gymnastics or another. My scepticism may be more a product of ignorance than understanding...but I often wonder how much the molecular maestros REALLY understand about the game they are playing as well?

Richard Wells

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: The Molecular Clock is fact, not theory - CKing, Wed Nov 24 11:31:33 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: New Australian elapid phylogeny paper - CKing, Tue Nov 23 07:12:32 2004 image in post