return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: morphological characters in phylogenetic analysis...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ScottThomson at Wed Dec 8 00:35:19 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ScottThomson ]  

CKing

"What distinguishes Dr. Lee from most (but not all) other cladists is his willingness to analyze his characters. By doing so, he is able to achieve more reliable results than most cladists, who, in the words of Kurt Schwenk, "...cannot judge the quality of a character..." and must therefore merely "...assume that characters are independent and hope that...enough 'good' characters will outweigh ". "Hope" is not a good tool for phylogenetic analysis; character analysis (e.g. comparative anatomy) is far better."

ME

Yes I agree with this. I see that there has been two basic ideologies on the analysis and coding of morphological characters. The first is find everything you can asign it a number and crunch it. Gaffney used this in his paper on Turtle phylogeny of 1977 which placed Chelodina, Hydromedusa and Chelus as a monophyletic grouping.

Examination of the actual characters in detail, looking at development, function and their relationship to the bauplan of the turtles showed that none of these genera are closely related and that Hydromedusa was pretty much basal to the Chelidae, Chelus is closer to Phrynops and Chelodina is basal to the Australian radiation of the Chelidae. This was presented by Pritchard and received enormous condemnation for its "lack of objectivity".

Molecular analysis confirmed Pritchards view and demonstrated that Gaffney's phyllogeny was incorrect and was being effected by parallelisms. He did not predict that Long-necked piscivory could evolve on 3 occasions, in fact it may have evolved on four occasions. All the characters that united the "long-necks" in Gaffney 1977 were related to piscivory and required morphological adaptations for strike and gape mode hunting.

From my own research I no longer consider Chelus a long neck, though it has an appearance of being one. If one looks closely at the ratios of vertebrae length and shell length it actually has the same neck length as an equivalently sized Phrynops, but has a shorter shell. In other words its long neck is a bit of an illusion.

The reason I feel that molecular systematics can get a better tree than morphology when using methods similar to Gaffney is similar to what CKing was alluding to. The molecular sequence will be overpowered by the neutral genes due to the sheer number of characters used, whereas the morphology if not subjected to careful comparative anatomy will be overpowered by adaptive morphology. A good morphological character set with all characters justified by comparative anatomy can be as powerful a tool as a molecular one.

Cheers, Scott
-----
Scott Thomson

http://www.carettochelys.com
http://ittn.net

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  morphological characters in phylogenetic analysis... - Wulf, Thu Dec 2 03:10:49 2004