return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Californian "species"

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: BIC at Mon Dec 6 16:26:48 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BIC ]  

Cking wrote (among other things):

"So, don't be fooled by snake oil."

Me: Ha! Ha! I will admit you crack me up. You are a clsssic example of "a little bit of knowledge is dangerous".

Anyway, E. O. Wiley modified Simpson's species concept but I am sure Frost and Hillis would be flattered by the accolades.

Simpson wrote, " an evolutionary species is a lineage (an ancestral-descendant sequence of populations) evolving separately from others and with its own unitary evolutionary role and tendencies."

Wiley wrote, "a species is a single lineage of ancestral descendant sequence of populations of organisms which maintains its identity from other such lineages and which has its own unitary evolutionary tendencies and historical fate." (Systematic Zoology 1978 27:17-26)

Now that my friend is what Frost and Hillis embraced. So how different are those two concepts? Not very, eh? I think you have been buying too much snake oil and have been trying to resell it to unwary customers. That is not very nice.

If you are interested in learning about the connection between the evolutionary species concept and the phylogenetic species concept I recommend you read Frost and Kluge, Cladistics 1994, 10:259-294. I know that is probably not your favorite journal (given your apparent repulsion to all things cladistic) but like the David Hull book I recommended (which R. wells so kindly supplied the reference to) you may find flaws in the reasoning that support your contentions or maybe, you may learn something positive about the concepts.

Cheers,

BIC

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Californian "species" - CKing, Mon Dec 6 19:15:10 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: Californian "species" - CKing, Sun Dec 5 09:49:40 2004