return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE:Hi, I have kids, now almost 3 months old,

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spiny/Fence Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: aliceinwl at Tue Feb 1 22:06:10 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by aliceinwl ]  

Sounds like your guy is doing well. All the Scelops I've had have really enjoyed their daily misting.

The supplementation is important because feeders (crickets etc) are typically low in calcium. Overtime to compensate for this deficiency the lizard will start using calcium from its bones. This will cause the bones to become brittle and weak. It usually first manifests itself as weakness in the jaws. Rather than getting crunched the crickets will just slip out. Metabolic bone disease (MBD) is progressive and will eventually lead to skeletal deformities and death. If caught, it can be reversed but any resulting deformities are permanent. It's easy to prevent by getting the appropriate supplement.

To properly metabolize calcium reptiles need a 2:1 ratio of calcium to phospherus. Feeders typically have plenty of phospherus, but little calcium so you want to pick out a supplement that is phospherus free (I use Rep-cal). Supplements containing phospherus are meant for herbivores. These will not correct the imbalance and it's possible for an insect eating lizard to develop MBD in spite of supplementation if they are used.

Lack of proper lighting can also lead to MBD. Along with the correct calcium to phospherus ratio. Most diurnal insetivorous lizards need vitamin D3 (the sunshine vitamin)to metabolize calcium. This vitamin is synthesized by the lizard's body when it is exposed to UV light. There are a variety of flourescents on the market for this purpose.

You can also get multi vitamins. If you gutload, I think that these are not necessary. Gut loading consists of feeding the feeders before you feed them to your lizard. Half your lizard's nutrition comes from the stomach content of its feeders. For crickets, crushed high quality dog or cat food or fish flakes work well with a slice or orange, carrot or other fresh fruit or veggie for moisture. Let the crickets gorge for at least a few hours before offering them to your lizard.

Hope this helps,
Alice

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE:Hi, I have kids, now almost 3 months old, - newdad, Tue Feb 1 20:17:10 2005