return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: CB Sudan Plated

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Plated Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Matt Campbell at Tue Feb 1 23:48:35 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Matt Campbell ]  

>I was wonder is there really a market for CB Sudan Plated lizards.

Unfortunately, probably not. They are still relatively cheap and easy to acquire from the wild, so it's likely they're going to continue to be like Green Iguanas, why by CB when wild-caught is cheaper. There may be a market amongst people specifically looking for CB Plated Lizards, but they would be few and far between. Also, I've been trying with limited success to breed Gerrhosaurus major for three years now and I'd have to say it's not the easiest thing.

>both lizards would be put under stress and also the babies

Breeding can be stressful for the female for sure, but probably not for male. Actual courtship is a somewhat violent affair with some leg and body biting on the behalf of both sexes. And of course egg laying can take a lot out of a female but this is not that big of a deal if she's well conditioned beforehand.

>they really do better with one on one attention, well i think so at lest.

Not sure what you mean here, unless you're talking about specifically interacting with the lizards on a regular basis. I don't handle any of my Plateds except to weigh them or when doing cage cleaning or other extensive work that would neccessitate moving them. However, though I don't handle them, they are not aggressive and will actually eat out of my hand, but if they're picked up they tend to be very spastic.

If you'd like to try your hand at breeding for the fun and experience of it, I'd say go ahead. However, if you're solely hoping to find a market to sell CB offspring I'd say don't bother - it's too complex of a process and the learning curve on getting successful hatches is high - not worth it if you're not truely committed to hatching them out simply for the pleasure of working with the species.
-----
Matt Campbell
Animal Keeper, Small Mammal/Reptile House
Lincoln Park Zoo Chicago, Illinois

Assistant Curator
Wildlife Discovery Center at Elawa Farm
Lake Forest, Illinois

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Lost plated lizard in garden, help! - cactuskent, Sat Mar 19 09:18:20 2005
<< Previous topic:  info on tracheloptychus petersi? - lindsayanne, Thu Jan 6 09:38:22 2005