return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

I need help about my little painted

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Painted Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jerfib at Thu Apr 21 17:59:31 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jerfib ]  

I found a little painted turtle, about the size of a quarter 2 days ago. It was a very warm day, I showed it to my 2 daughters and couldn't keep him still in my hands, he was just going so fast I set him down at the edge of a pond in our back yard, in a barely "mushy" part which was almost dry. I did this thinking this would be a good spot for him since I didn't plan on keeping him.

Today I was taking my dog outside when I noticed what I am assuming is the exact same little turtle--looks the same, same size, etc. except this time he/she was just sitting in the grass with eye closed tight and I though for a moment it was dead. I picked it up and saw it was breathing but very laboriously.

I am wondering a few things, first, could this little guy have been born recently like this week? I did not notice a "tooth"--I had a painted when I was a child and remember it having a tooth on it to get out of it's shell.

The weather here in Michigan is usually chillier but this week it has been high 70s and one day in the 80s. Another thing I am wondering, last night it dropped below freezing, around 25 degrees. He was lying in the sun when I found him again today, but could the cold temp have caused him problems?

I brought him in and put him in warm water, on a rock and set him in the sun since it is cool out today. He opened his eyes and moves his head a little bit when my girls or I come near if his eyes are opened, he still keeps them mostly closed.

A little while ago, I put him in a shallow dish with a little warm water in it and tried to give him the ReptoMin sticks. I broke them up and everything but he isn't eating. He seems weak; he only moved in the water in circles and when he had to lift up his head from the water to breath (the water only comes half way up his shell) his head would still bob with every breath taken. Now he's on his rock again because I put him there and hasn't moved since. I got a small little set up for him, 10 gallon aquarium, basking lamp and I have the temp. regulated right between 85-90 degrees. His little head is still bobbing when he breathes and he doesn't seem like he wants to use his back legs a whole lot (I noticed this when he moved around in the water). His back legs also move when he breathes, like it's taking everything he's got, I don't know.

If this is the same little guy I saw 2 days ago and because of the time of year it is (it is early for them to hatch now, isn't it?), I would think it is the same one, he was very healthy acting just 2 days ago.

The last few things I am wondering is what do I do for him now? What could I give him to coax him to eat? And if I need to take him to a vet, I cannot find any listed that specialize in reptiles. If anyone out there could give me some helpful info, I sure would appreciate it. It breaks my heart thinking something may be wrong and I want to help but I don't know what to do. Thank you for those who can give me a little info. I really appreciate it!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I need help about my little painted - woodturtle, Thu Apr 21 21:08:43 2005